Real vector plus complex vector

In summary, real vectors have real number components while complex vectors have complex number components. Real and complex vectors can be added together if they have the same number of components, and complex vectors can be graphically represented by plotting their real and imaginary components on the respective axes. Complex vectors are commonly used in science to represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, and to solve mathematical problems in signal processing and quantum mechanics. In physics, real vectors are used to represent physical quantities, while complex vectors are used to represent oscillatory phenomena and the state of particles in multi-dimensional space in quantum mechanics.
Neitrino
If there are three vectors a=(1,0,0) and b=(0,1,0) what vector will be a+ib (i - is a complex)
Is it possible to imagine its direction in real three-space...

Sorry if this is basic question

Physics news on Phys.org
Just add each component respectively: a+ib=(1+0i,0+i,0+0i)=(1,i,0).
You can not imagine its direction in real 3-space because complex numbers can not be ordered. But you can imagine a 6-dimensional vector with a definite direction.

, I am just trying to understand.

Yes, it is possible to imagine the direction of a+ib in real three-space. To do so, we can think of a and b as representing vectors in the x-y plane, with a pointing in the positive x-direction and b pointing in the positive y-direction. When we add a+ib, we are essentially adding a complex number to a real number, which results in a vector that is a combination of both real and imaginary components.

In this case, the real component of a+ib would be (1,0,0) and the imaginary component would be (0,i,0). This means that the resulting vector would have a magnitude of 1 in the x-direction and a magnitude of i (or 0 in the y-direction).

While it may be difficult to visualize a vector with an imaginary component, we can still understand its direction in real three-space by considering the magnitude and direction of its real component. In this case, the direction of a+ib would be in the positive x-direction, with a magnitude of 1.

I hope this helps to clarify and understand the concept of adding a real vector and a complex vector.

Related to Real vector plus complex vector

1. What is the difference between a real vector and a complex vector?

A real vector is a vector whose components are real numbers, while a complex vector is a vector whose components are complex numbers. Complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, while real numbers only have a real component.

2. Can real vectors and complex vectors be added together?

Yes, real vectors and complex vectors can be added together, but only if they have the same number of components. The addition is done component-wise, meaning the corresponding components are added together to create a new vector.

3. How do you represent a complex vector graphically?

A complex vector can be represented graphically by plotting its corresponding real and imaginary components on the real and imaginary axes, respectively. The vector will then be represented by an arrow starting from the origin and pointing towards the plotted point.

4. What is the purpose of using complex vectors in science?

Complex vectors are often used in science to represent quantities that have both a magnitude and a direction, such as electric and magnetic fields. They can also be used to solve various mathematical problems, particularly in the fields of signal processing and quantum mechanics.

5. How are real and complex vectors used in physics?

In physics, real vectors are often used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. Complex vectors are commonly used to represent oscillatory phenomena like alternating currents and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a particle in a multi-dimensional space.