REALLY NEED A PHYSICS EXPERT IN CIRCUITS, if you can help

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem involving a circuit and the need for an expert in physics to help solve it. The problem involves finding equations with I1, I2, and I3 in them. The potential over the capacitor needs to be the same as that over R2 and the current in the circuit is determined by R1. The conversation also discusses the switch in the circuit and the use of the loop rule to set up equations. The capacitor will charge up to the final voltage over R2 and the charge will flow into the capacitor as it charges up. The conversation also mentions the need to derive a differential equation for the problem.
jevan025
REALLY NEED A PHYSICS EXPERT IN CIRCUITS, if you can help!

hey everyone, this is an extra credit problem which i really need to get in order to pass this class! haha i did horrible on 1 of my 3 tests!:frown:
But yeah any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks!
here's a link to the problem
http://www.physics.odu.edu/~hoy/232Bonus Problem.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use your knowledge of circuits to write out as many equations as possible that have I1,2,3 in them. You should be able to set up enough equations to solve for the I's relatively easily... once you have all the equations, if you still need more help, post what you have here. Keep in mind I = dq/dt

I would think that the potential over the capacitor need to be the same as that over R2.

When the switch is closed the capacitor in effect shorts R2 out. This means that the current in the circuit is determined by R1 giving I1 = I2.

At the other end the current Iq will eventully be zero. This means that we again will have that I1 = I2 with the same potential over the capacitor and the potential over R2 the same as the capacitor is fully charged up. At this point the current will be Io = I1 = I2 = E/(R1+R2). Giving for the potential over the fully charged capacitor Vo = Io x R2.

Look again andrevdh... at the beginning, I1 = Iq and at the end I1 = I2

oh man I am so confused, does anyone have an aim sn?

jevan, if you had a circuit with just a capacitor on it, would you know how to solve that?

im getting confused at the part where the current moves in 2 directions. all we were taught in the class were the loop rule and junction rule. since there are no junctions in this problem, I am assuming we use the loop rule. also another part I am getting confused with is the switch that is open on the bottom left. could you give me a run through on how i would go about to solve for the equations?

Office_Shredder said:
Look again andrevdh... at the beginning, I1 = Iq and at the end I1 = I2

Yes, thank you, that is what I actually intended to write.

So at [tex]t = 0[/tex] we have that

[tex]I_o = I_1 = I_q = \frac{\mathcal{E}}{R_1}[/tex]

and after a very long time (infinity) we have that [tex]I_q = 0[/tex] so that

[tex]I_i = I_1 = I_2 = \frac{\mathcal{E}}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

In between we know that

[tex]I_1 = I_2 + I_q[/tex]

and that

[tex]V_{R2} = V_C[/tex]

Last edited:
so where do we use diff eq to solve?

With the switch open the capacitor will discharge through R2. So when the switch is closed the capacitor presents no "resistance" to the flow of current. That is it shorts R2 out by absorbing the flow of current into its plates. This can also be understood via the fact that the potential over the capacitor is zero when the switch is closed (it has been discharged). This means that the only resistance in the circuit at that point is R1. So the current through the circuit will be

[tex]I_o = \frac{E}{R_1} = I_1 = I_q[/tex]

The function of R1 is therefore to limit the intial current flowing in the circuit when the switch is closed. Since there is no potential over R2 at this point (discharged capacitor) we have that

[tex]I_2 = 0[/tex]

when the switch is thrown.

The capacitor will charge up to the "final voltage over R2".
At this point

[tex]I_q = 0[/tex]

so we have that

[tex]V_{2i} = I_i R_2[/tex]

with [tex]I_i[/tex] as in post #9 (i referst to when time = infinity)

The cap will therefore charge up through R1 according to

[tex]V_C = V_{2i} \left( 1 - e^{-\frac{ t }{\tau}\right) = V_2[/tex]

where

[tex]\tau = R_1 C[/tex]

Use the loop rule to set up the equations.

The charge, [tex]I_q[/tex], will flow into the capacitor as it charges up to [tex]V_{2i}[/tex].

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
The capacitor will charge up to the "final voltage over R2".
At this point

[tex]I_q = 0[/tex]

so we have that

[tex]V_{2i} = I_i R_2[/tex]

with [tex]I_i[/tex] as in post #9 (i referst to when time = infinity)

The cap will therefore charge up through R1 according to
[tex]V_C = V_{2i} \left( 1 - e^{-\frac{ t }{\tau}\right) = V_2[/tex]

where

[tex]\tau = R_1 C[/tex]

Use the loop rule to set up the equations.

The charge, [tex]I_q[/tex], will flow into the capacitor as it charges up to [tex]V_{2i}[/tex].
the way I read the problem he needs to derive the Differential equation for which you have provided the solution.
Can you shed any light on the DiffEq?

Note that

[tex]V_2 = V_C[/tex]

which gives us that

[tex]I_2 R_2 = \frac{q}{C}[/tex]

from which it follows that

[tex]\frac{dq_2}{dt} = \frac{q}{R_2C}[/tex]

using

[tex]I_1 = I_2 + I_q[/tex]

we get that

[tex]\frac{dq_1}{dt} = \frac{q}{R_2C} + \frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

applying the loop rule over R1 and C gives

[tex]\mathcal{E} = R_1 I_1 + \frac{q}{C}[/tex]

using the above this comes to

[tex]\frac{\mathcal{E}}{R_1} = \left( \frac{1}{R_2 C} + \frac{1}{R_1 C} \right)q +\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank You Very Much

Related to REALLY NEED A PHYSICS EXPERT IN CIRCUITS, if you can help

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway that allows electricity to flow from a power source, through various components, and back to the power source. This flow of electricity is what powers various electronic devices.

2. Why do I need a physics expert for circuits?

Physics is the study of matter and energy, and circuits involve the flow of electricity, which is a form of energy. A physics expert will have a deep understanding of the principles and laws that govern electricity and how it behaves in circuits. They can provide valuable insights and solutions for any issues with circuits.

3. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery), conductors (wires), resistors, capacitors, and switches. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and perform specific functions within a circuit.

4. How do I troubleshoot circuit problems?

To troubleshoot circuit problems, you will need to have a basic understanding of how circuits work and the components involved. You can use tools like a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage, and systematically check each component for any issues. It's also helpful to have a physics expert who can provide guidance and identify any underlying problems.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with circuits?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when working with circuits. Always make sure the power is turned off before working on a circuit, and use insulated tools. Avoid touching any live wires or components, and always wear protective gear like gloves and safety glasses. It's also important to follow proper wiring and circuit diagrams to avoid any potential hazards.