Rearrange equation (solution of ODE)

In summary, the conversation discussed a struggle with rearranging an equation for R in terms of a nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation. The equation was given as ln(R) + (mR^(n-1))/(n-1) = w_xi + C and the goal was to rearrange it to R = ... It was determined that there is no solution in terms of elementary functions.
Juggler123
I have determined the solution to a nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation but am struggling to rearrange the result, I have that

$$\\ln(R)+\frac{mR^{n-1}}{n-1}=\bar{w}_{\infty}\xi+C.$$

How would I rearrange this equation for $$R$$?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that [itex] R(x) [/itex] is the function that solves a differential equation in the variable [itex] x [/itex] ?

Juggler123 said:
I have determined the solution to a nonlinear first order ordinary differential equation but am struggling to rearrange the result, I have that

$$\\ln(R)+\frac{mR^{n-1}}{n-1}=\bar{w}_{\infty}\xi+C.$$

How would I rearrange this equation for $$R$$?

You can't. What you have is essentially [tex]
\ln(R^{n-1}) + mR^{n-1} = A[/tex] which doesn't have an analytic solution for [itex]R^{n-1}[/itex] given [itex]A[/itex].

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have determined the solution [itex] R(\xi) [/itex], the solution is

$$\ln(R(\xi))+\frac{mR(\xi)^{n-1}}{n-1}=\bar{w}_{\infty}\xi+C.$$

I simply need to rearrange this to say [itex] R(\xi)=\cdots [/itex]

That was clear. And what you have been told that there is no solution in terms of elementary functions.

The question has been asked and answered, so I'm closing this thread.

FAQ: Rearrange equation (solution of ODE)

1. How do I rearrange an equation for a solution of an ODE?

Rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs involves isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation and the independent variables on the other side. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing both sides of the equation by the same value. The goal is to end up with the dependent variable expressed as a function of the independent variables.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs?

The purpose of rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs is to make it easier to solve for the dependent variable. By isolating the dependent variable, we can apply different methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a substitution to solve for the solution of the ODE.

3. How do I know when an equation is properly rearranged for a solution of an ODE?

An equation is properly rearranged for a solution of an ODE when the dependent variable is isolated on one side of the equation and all other variables are on the other side. Additionally, the equation should be in a form that can be solved using the appropriate method for the specific type of ODE.

4. Can rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs be done for any type of ODE?

Yes, rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs can be done for any type of ODE. However, the specific method of rearranging may vary depending on the type of ODE and the specific solution method being used.

5. Are there any tips for rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs?

Some tips for rearranging equations for solutions of ODEs include: 1) keeping track of the operations performed on both sides of the equation, 2) using the properties of logarithms and exponentials to simplify expressions, 3) using appropriate substitution techniques when needed, and 4) double-checking the final rearranged equation to ensure it is in the correct form for solving.