Rearrange the Projectile Motion equation

In summary, the student is struggling with an extra-credit physics assignment to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation to solve for t. They have asked their math teachers for help but are still unable to solve it. They are now seeking help from a physics expert.
mlbmaniaco
I have a real big problem. My physics teacher has given an extra-credit assignment to my class to figure out. He said we can use whatever we want to figure it out. The problem was to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation (d = Vit + 1/2at2) to solve for t.

So I started out by asking my Math B2 teacher if she knew how to figure it out. After 15 minutes of work she got t = (d/t -vi) 2/a. But she didn't know how to get the second t out of the equation. We both ended up going over to the other math teacher. He got the same thing. Now the three of us are determined to figure out this answer. Can any physics wizard out there help us? All I want to know is how to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation (d = Vit + 1/2at2) to solve for t. For. Example F=ma, to rearrange the equation to sovle for m, it would be m=f/a. So I Want t= ? So can anyone help?
-Puzzled Student

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation is of the form

[tex]
ax^2+bx +c = 0
[/tex]

Use the quadratic formula to solve

[tex]
x = \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
[/tex]

They'll probably kick themselves (this sounds like the classic case of getting your eyes so close to the problem they can't see it). Surely, both of them have heard of the quadratic formula.

[tex]d=vt + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2} at^2+vt - d = 0 [/tex]
[tex]t = \frac{-v \pm \sqrt{v^2+4 \left( \frac{1}{2} a\right)d}}{2 \left( \frac{1}{2} a \right)}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Rearrange the Projectile Motion equation

1. What is the Projectile Motion equation?

The Projectile Motion equation is a mathematical representation of the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. It takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

2. Why would I need to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation?

Rearranging the Projectile Motion equation can help solve for different variables, such as the initial velocity or angle of launch, depending on the information given in a problem. It also allows for a better understanding of how the different factors affect the motion of the object.

3. How do I rearrange the Projectile Motion equation?

To rearrange the Projectile Motion equation, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable you are solving for. This may involve dividing or multiplying both sides of the equation by a certain value, or using inverse operations to move terms to the opposite side of the equation.

4. What are some common mistakes when rearranging the Projectile Motion equation?

Some common mistakes when rearranging the Projectile Motion equation include misplacing negative signs, forgetting to distribute terms, and making errors when solving for variables. It is important to double check your work and use the correct algebraic rules when rearranging the equation.

5. Can the Projectile Motion equation be rearranged for different scenarios?

Yes, the Projectile Motion equation can be rearranged for different scenarios, such as when the object is launched from a different height or when air resistance is considered. However, the basic equation remains the same and only the values for the variables may change.