Rearranging Equation: C(x,t) for t

• Thread starter SMOF
  • Start date
In summary: For (1), the answer is simple: erfc(0.25) = 0. If you want to solve for t, you would just plug in 0 for x and solve for t.(2) erfc(x/sqrt(t)) = .5*sin(x^3 + 3t^2 + t) (a really, really difficult problem)Again, the answer is not clear from the problem. However, if we look at the equation for sin(x^3 + 3t^2 + t), we see that both sides of the equation are
SMOF
Hello.

I am hoping someone can help me rearrange the following equation for t.

I'm getting better at these, but this one stumps me.

C(x,t) = Cserfc(x/2√(Dt))

I was starting with C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√(Dt))

But from here I am not sure how to deal with the square root and the t buried in the square root.

Thanks.

Seán

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember right, this equation corresponds to Dopant diffusion

C(x,t) = Cs*erfc(x/2√Dt)

C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√Dt)

erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs) = erfc^-1(erfc(x/2√Dt))

(2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x = 1/√Dt

Square both sides,

1/t = D*((2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x)^2

SMOF said:
Hello.

I am hoping someone can help me rearrange the following equation for t.

I'm getting better at these, but this one stumps me.

C(x,t) = Cserfc(x/2√(Dt))

I was starting with C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√(Dt))

But from here I am not sure how to deal with the square root and the t buried in the square root.

Thanks.

Seán

It is not clear what you are asking. Is Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) the _definition_ of the object C(x,t)? If so, you presumably have an equation of the form Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) = v (where v is some value) and you want to solve this for t. You would have t on only one side of this equation. It wold be farily easy to solve: just find a value of z giving erfc(z) = v/Cs (which can be found numerically if v and C_s are known numbers); then solve z = x/2√(Dt) for t. However, if C(x,t) is some other function of x and t that you want to equate to Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) , then you would have t on both sides of your equation, and without knowing more about the function C(x,t) we cannot say very much.

RGV

SHScanuck said:
If I remember right, this equation corresponds to Dopant diffusion

C(x,t) = Cs*erfc(x/2√Dt)

C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√Dt)

erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs) = erfc^-1(erfc(x/2√Dt))

(2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x = 1/√Dt

Square both sides,

1/t = D*((2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x)^2

It does, yea ...and thanks for the work through. I will go over it a few times until I have it in my head.

Again, many thanks.

Seán

If C(x,t) is a function with t in it this will NOT isolate t, as you still have t on both sides of the equation. That is why I asked you in my first post EXACTLY what was your question. You did not answer.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You did not answer.

I am sorry if this offended you.

I did not answer for a number of reasons.

1. I did not fully understand what you were asking, and
2. Someone else posted a reply which seemed to give me the answer.

The (x,t) part seem to be largely ignored in sample questions. Maybe I should have just written my question as C = ...

Anyway, sorry I did not respond to your question directly, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Seán

I am not offended. I was trying to help you better understand your problem, and to do that I posed a question whose answer would, I think, be helpful to you.

RGV

Hello.

Well, I will try to understand your question better, and see where that takes me :)

Seán

Let me give you an example. Isolate "t" in the following two problems.
(1) erfc(x/sqrt(t))= 0.25 (an "easy" problem); or
(2) erfc(x/sqrt(t)) = .5*sin(x^3 + 3t^2 + t) (a really, really difficult problem).

RGV

FAQ: Rearranging Equation: C(x,t) for t

1. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation for a specific variable?

Rearranging an equation for a specific variable allows us to solve for that variable and determine its relationship with the other variables in the equation. This is especially useful in scientific research and problem solving.

2. How do I rearrange an equation for a certain variable?

To rearrange an equation for a specific variable, you must use algebraic manipulation techniques such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same value. The goal is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation while keeping the other variables on the other side.

3. Why is it important to keep track of units when rearranging equations?

Units are crucial in scientific calculations and must be consistent throughout an equation. When rearranging an equation, it is important to ensure that the units of the variables on both sides of the equation are the same to maintain accuracy in the final solution.

4. Can I rearrange an equation for any variable?

Yes, as long as the equation contains the desired variable and follows mathematical rules, you can rearrange it for any variable. However, it is important to note that some equations may be more complicated and require more steps to solve for a specific variable.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rearranging equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. This can lead to an incorrect solution. Another mistake is not paying attention to signs and accidentally changing the direction of the inequality. It is important to double check all steps and calculations when rearranging equations.

Back