Rearranging Equation: Make A Subject - Ideas?

• Thread starter missyfit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging the equation F = A Q1Q2 / r2 to make A the subject. The participants discuss swapping the sides of the equation and manipulating the square root, but ultimately agree on multiplying both sides by r2 to get A = F Q1Q2 / r2.
missyfit

Homework Statement

F = A [Q][1][Q][2] / [r][2]

Rearrange make A subject

any one have any ideas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi missyfit! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Do you mean F = A Q1Q2 / r2 ?

Just move the Qs and the r to the other side…

what do you get? :smile:

F = A Q1Q2 / r2 ?
yes this is what was meant thanks

by moving the Qs and r to other side is A the subject if it is left on the right?

missyfit said:
by moving the Qs and r to other side is A the subject if it is left on the right?
Yes.

Or you can always swap the sides round, if it makes you happier. :smile:

Thanks for both you inputs can you give an example of how you may work this out. do i need to do anything with the sqare root?

missyfit

No, you show us what you think, and we'll comment. :smile:

first i thought that swaping side over then wasnt sure what i should do with square root

F = A Q1Q 2 / r2
A Q1Q2 / r2 = F
A Q1Q2 / r2 x Q1Q2 / r2 = F Q1Q2 / r2 x Q1Q2 / r2
A = F Q1Q2 / r2

this all seems abit bulky.

Hi missyfit! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
missyfit said:
A Q1Q2 / r2 x Q1Q2 / r2 = F Q1Q2 / r2 x Q1Q2 / r2
A = F Q1Q2 / r2

uhh? whatever are you doing? :confused:

start again. :smile:

I guess i made a mess of this just learning equations and already finding it stressful. Dont worry thanks for help any way was following system we have been given to do equation clearly not very effective. :rolleyes:

Hi missyfit! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
missyfit said:
I guess i made a mess of this just learning equations and already finding it stressful. Dont worry thanks for help any way was following system we have been given to do equation clearly not very effective. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the stress. :redface:

Start by multiplying both sides of the original equation by r2

what do you get? :smile:

FAQ: Rearranging Equation: Make A Subject - Ideas?

What is the process for rearranging an equation to make a specific variable the subject?

The process for rearranging an equation to make a specific variable the subject involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

Why do scientists need to rearrange equations?

Scientists need to rearrange equations in order to solve for unknown variables or to manipulate the equation to represent a different relationship between the variables. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the relationship between different quantities.

What are some common mistakes when rearranging equations?

Some common mistakes when rearranging equations include not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, forgetting to apply the distributive property, and not accounting for negative signs when moving terms to the other side of the equation.

Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Rearranging equations can be done for any type of equation, as long as the basic rules of algebra are followed. This means using inverse operations and properly simplifying each step.

What are some tips for efficiently rearranging equations?

Some tips for efficiently rearranging equations include identifying the variable you want to make the subject before starting, using parentheses to avoid mistakes, and double checking each step to ensure accuracy.

Back