Rearranging Equations: Finding y in x = (y^3+1)/(y^2+1)

• Thread starter Toby_Obie
  • Start date
In summary: From x= (y^3+ 1)/(y^2+ 1) we have x(y^2+ 1)= xy^2+ x= y^3+ 1 so y^3- xy^2+ (1- x)= 0. There no way to solve that for y, with general x, except by using the (very complicated!) cubic formula.Thanks guys for your help.
Toby_Obie

Homework Statement

Hello, I just need some quick help with the following, rearranging the below to make y the subject

Homework Equations

Rearrange x = (y^3+1)/(y^2+1) to find y

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure , not been doing algebra for long

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Toby_Obie! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Toby_Obie said:
Rearrange x = (y^3+1)/(y^2+1) to find y

Are you sure that's the question?

I don't think there's any way of making y the subject, without knowing the solution to a general cubic equation. :redface:

Question is correct - is it possible then ? There must be some way

tiny-tim said:
I don't think there's any way of making y the subject, without knowing the solution to a general cubic equation.
You're over complicating a bit. It's probably just solving the equation in terms of y, which itself just means moving somethings to the other side of the equals side.
Remember, what you do to one side of the equals sign, you do to the other side.

hints:
factor
get rid of fractions,
you'll have to move things around in both directions
the answer has a fraction

Last edited:
I'm searching for an answer in the following form :

y = f(x)

Can it be done

It may be over complicating but I have to know

Thanks for you help

Toby_Obie said:
Can it be done
yes
factor y^3+1, simplify, and you should be able to work it out from there. It's just a lot of shuffling from one side of the equation to the other. Keep stuff in factored form and factor some more.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't get it

Could someone help me out ?

sorry, not me … i don't get it either :redface:

I'm unsure how to release the x and y

x = (y^3+1)/(y^2+1)

x(y^2+1) = (y^3+1)

(xy^2)+x = y^3+1

x-1 = (y^3) - (xy^2) ?

Factoring (y^3+1) only creates (y+1)(y^2-y+1)

tiny-tim said:
sorry, not me … i don't get it either :redface:

I've spent way too many pages on this, but basically I think you just have to keep rearranging the equations (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, multiplying) until everything simplifies.

Have you learned complex numbers yet? If so, you can use those to simplify things further.

story645 said:
I've spent way too many pages on this, but basically I think you just have to keep rearranging the equations (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, multiplying) until everything simplifies.

Have you learned complex numbers yet? If so, you can use those to simplify things further.

I repeat … I don't think there's any way of making y the subject, without knowing the solution to a general cubic equation.

tiny-tim said:
I repeat … I don't think there's any way of making y the subject, without knowing the solution to a general cubic equation.
Sorry, I was slow on the uptake and totally missing your hint.

tiny-tim said:

story645 said:
Sorry, I was slow on the uptake and totally missing your hint.
Hint? What hint? tiny-tim said exactly that in his first response and you said it was not true.

From [itex]x= (y^3+ 1)/(y^2+ 1)[/itex] we have [itex]x(y^2+ 1)= xy^2+ x= y^3+ 1[/itex] so [itex]y^3- xy^2+ (1- x)= 0[/itex]. There no way to solve that for y, with general x, except by using the (very complicated!) cubic formula.

Thanks guys

FAQ: Rearranging Equations: Finding y in x = (y^3+1)/(y^2+1)

What is rearrangement?

Rearrangement is the process of changing the order or position of elements in a set or sequence.

Why do scientists study rearrangement?

Scientists study rearrangement in order to better understand patterns and relationships between elements in a set, and to develop strategies for manipulating and predicting rearrangements.

What are some common applications of rearrangement?

Rearrangement has many practical applications, including in chemistry, genetics, linguistics, and computer science. It is used to design efficient algorithms, analyze data, and solve problems.

What are some key concepts related to rearrangement?

Some key concepts related to rearrangement include permutations, combinations, transpositions, and cycles. These concepts help describe different types of rearrangements and their properties.

What are some methods for solving rearrangement problems?

There are many different methods for solving rearrangement problems, including trial and error, algorithmic approaches, and mathematical techniques such as group theory. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific problem and its context.

Back