Rearranging numbers changes answers?

• Thread starter Lexadis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem where a car and a bike are traveling with different accelerations and starting distances, and the goal is to find the time, distance, and displacement traveled by each vehicle. The attempted solution involves using equations of motion and factoring, but the individual makes some algebraic mistakes which lead to incorrect answers.
Lexadis
Solved~Rearranging numbers changes answers?

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and travels with a constant acceleration of [itex]3ms^{-2}[/itex], while a bike which is at a distance of 100m away from the car starts with an initial velocity of [itex]5ms^{-2} [/itex] travels with a constant acceleration of [itex]2ms^{-2}[/itex]. The displacement traveled by the bike before being overtaken is [itex]x[/itex]. Using equations of motion, find,
(i) the time taken for the car to overtake the bike.
(ii) the distance traveled by the bike (x)
(iii) the distance traveled by the car.

Homework Equations

[itex]s= ut + \frac{1}{2} at^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did using the theory that the displacement of the car will be equal to displacement of the bike +100m.
So here it goes:
[itex]ut+ \frac{1}{2}at^{2}+100 = ut+ \frac{1}{2}at^{2} [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}.3.t^{2} + 100 = 5t + \frac{1}{2}.2.t^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{3}{2}t^{2}+100=5t+t^{2}[/itex]

[itex]100=5t-\frac{1}{2}t^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}t^{2}-5t+100=0[/itex]

[itex]t^{2}-10t+200=0[/itex]

It is after this the problem started. I got 2 different answers. Here it goes:

[itex]t^{2}-10t+200=0[/itex]

--> Here I arranged it as -20t + 10t:

[itex]t^{2} - 20t + 10t + 200 = 0[/itex]

[itex] t(t-20)+10(t+20)=0[/itex]

[itex] (t+10)(t-20)(t+20) = 0 [/itex]

[itex] t+10 = 0 / t^{2}-20^{2} = 0[/itex]

[itex]t=-10 / t=20 s / t=-20s[/itex]

-->Here I arranged it as +10, -20, and got different answers >_>

[itex] t^{2} + 10t - 20t + 200 = 0[/itex]

[itex] t(t+10) - 20(t-10) = 0[/itex]

[itex](t-20) (t^{2}-10^{2}) = 0[/itex]

[itex]t=20s / t=10 / t=-10[/itex]

The answer is supposed to be 20. So how come I also got t=10s in my second arrangement? Is there some mistake I can't identify? Thank you very much in advance c:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to review your algebra. You can't factor the way you did. Note that you started with a quadratic expression, but after factoring, you ended up with a cubic expression. Obviously, you did something you're not allowed to do.

To be specific, ##t(t-20) + 10(t+20)## does not equal ##(t+10)(t-20)(t+20)##. You made a similar mistake in the second approach as well.

I figured out what my mistake was ^^;
I should have had:
[itex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}-100 = 5t+t^{2}[/itex]
instead of a [itex]+100[/itex] because displacement of the car minus100m should be equal to the displacement of the bike.
Thank you!

ummm... to reiterate what vela said:

firstly you go from
t(t−20)+10(t+20)=0
to
(t+10)(t−20)(t+20)=0

which is nowhere near correct:
(t+10)(t−20)(t+20)=(t+10)(t^2-400) = t^3 +10t^2 -400t - 4000
definitely not your origional equation.
Same thing with your second attempt. Bad algebra is bad.

Yes, rearranging numbers in equations can change the answers. This is because the equations are based on mathematical relationships between the different variables, and changing the order of the terms can change the way those relationships are expressed. In this particular case, rearranging the terms in the equation t^2 - 10t + 200 = 0 can lead to incorrect solutions because it changes the relationship between the variables t and t^2. It is important to use the correct equation and to solve it in a consistent manner in order to obtain the correct answer. In this case, using the quadratic formula would be a more reliable method for solving the equation.

FAQ: Rearranging numbers changes answers?

1. Why do rearranging numbers change answers?

When we rearrange numbers in an equation, we are essentially changing the order in which operations are performed. This can result in a different outcome because of the mathematical properties of commutativity and associativity.

2. Is it always necessary to rearrange numbers in an equation?

No, rearranging numbers is not always necessary. In some cases, the original order of the numbers may result in the same answer. However, in more complex equations, rearranging numbers may be necessary to simplify the problem and find the correct answer.

3. Can rearranging numbers affect the accuracy of the answer?

Yes, rearranging numbers can affect the accuracy of the answer. If numbers are not rearranged correctly, it can lead to mathematical errors and result in an incorrect answer. It is important to follow the correct order of operations when rearranging numbers in an equation.

4. Are there any rules to follow when rearranging numbers?

Yes, there are rules to follow when rearranging numbers in an equation. The most important rule is to follow the order of operations, which is Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

5. How can I check if I rearranged numbers correctly?

The best way to check if numbers are rearranged correctly is to plug the rearranged numbers back into the original equation and solve. If the answer matches the original answer, then the numbers were rearranged correctly.

Back