Rearranging y(x) = a + bx^{-2} + cx^{-4} + dx^{-6} to Find x

• Thread starter peterjaybee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to rearrange a given function in order to calculate x for a given y. The person is considering using a numerical technique, such as Newton's method, to solve the problem. They also mention a cubic solution cheat sheet that may be helpful.
peterjaybee
Hi, I have fitted a graph with a function of the form
[tex]y(x) = a + bx^{-2} + cx^{-4} + dx^{-6}[/tex]

I now need to calculate x for a given y and have no idea how to go about rearranging this function.

I need to find x for a lot of y values, so I was hoping to write something in methematica, but I need to understand how to rearrange it before I can implement it in mathematica.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
peterjaybee said:
Hi, I have fitted a graph with a function of the form
[tex]y(x) = a + bx^{-2} + cx^{-4} + dx^{-6}[/tex]

I now need to calculate x for a given y and have no idea how to go about rearranging this function.

I need to find x for a lot of y values, so I was hoping to write something in methematica, but I need to understand how to rearrange it before I can implement it in mathematica.

Numerical techniques can be used, but if you want to solve it algebraically, then you can try the substitution u=1/x2 and then use the usual cubic polynomial algebraic solution to solve for u.

There is a cubic solution cheat sheet at the end of this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=396973&highlight=cubic+solution

Thanks for your reply. What numerical technique would you suggest?

peterjaybee said:
Thanks for your reply. What numerical technique would you suggest?

I usually start by plotting the function just to visually see how many real roots there might be, then I usually opt for Newton's method as a first try. The plot will allow you to generate some good initial guesses needed for Newton's method.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NewtonsMethod.html

I understand your need to calculate x for a given y value and to be able to implement it in a program like Mathematica. In order to rearrange this function to solve for x, you can follow these steps:

1. Start by subtracting "a" from both sides of the equation, so that you have: y(x) - a = bx^{-2} + cx^{-4} + dx^{-6}

2. Next, multiply both sides by x^6 to eliminate the negative exponents: x^6(y(x) - a) = bx^4 + cx^2 + d

3. Now, you can rearrange the equation to have all the terms on one side: bx^4 + cx^2 + d - x^6(y(x) - a) = 0

4. This is now a polynomial equation, which you can solve using the quadratic formula or other methods to find the roots (or solutions) for x.

5. Once you have the roots, you can plug in the given y value to find the corresponding x value.

I hope this helps you understand how to rearrange the function and solve for x. Good luck with your calculations!

FAQ: Rearranging y(x) = a + bx^{-2} + cx^{-4} + dx^{-6} to Find x

1. What is the purpose of rearranging the equation y(x) = a + bx-2 + cx-4 + dx-6 to find x?

The purpose of rearranging the equation is to solve for the value of x. This can help determine the dependent variable (y) for a given independent variable (x) and can also aid in graphing the equation.

2. How do I rearrange the equation y(x) = a + bx-2 + cx-4 + dx-6 to find x?

To rearrange the equation, we can follow the basic algebraic principles of isolating the variable we want to solve for. In this case, we can start by subtracting a from both sides, then dividing by b. This will leave x-2 on one side and a/b on the other. From there, we can continue solving for x by taking the reciprocal and simplifying the remaining terms.

3. Can I solve for x if there are multiple variables in the equation?

Yes, you can still solve for x even if there are other variables present in the equation. However, you will need to have enough information to isolate x and solve for its value. In some cases, you may need to use substitution or elimination methods to solve for x.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x that can be solved for in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x that can be solved for in this equation. Since x is in the denominator of each term, x cannot equal 0. Additionally, if any of the coefficients (a, b, c, or d) are equal to 0, then x cannot be solved for as it would result in a division by 0 error.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving equations by rearranging them?

Solving equations by rearranging them is a fundamental skill in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to calculate values such as velocity, acceleration, and force in physics problems. In chemistry, it can be used to determine the concentration of a solution or the rate of a reaction. In engineering, it can be used to design and analyze structures and systems.

Back