Reasons why LCROSS is a safe mission

• Thread starter MajorHarrison
  • Start date
In summary: In summary, the LCROSS mission is perfectly safe and there is no chance of the moon crashing into the Earth. This is due to the moon's much larger mass compared to the rocket and the fact that objects of similar size crash into the moon every month. Any concerns about the mission's safety can be addressed by watching the video embedded in the article posted, which explains the size and impact of the LCROSS in relation to the moon. Additionally, for those interested in viewing the impact, it was visible to those east of the Mississippi at 4:30 am PDT on October 9. Finally, NASA has confirmed the existence of water on the moon through the LCROSS mission.
MajorHarrison
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help explaining why the LCROSS mission is perfectly safe. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can find an article http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_12590357" helpful (post #11). What I am basically looking for is a way to explain to a person who doesn't know that much about physics why there is nothing to worry about for this mission.
If any of this is wrong, please correct me.

PS. This is my first post here so be nice.
:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

You are correct, there is no chance of the moon crashing into the Earth or anything like that. Without going into the details of orbital mechanics, momentum, and energy, you can just concoct some analogy (a fly running into a house, or something) to demonstrate that the moon is so much terribly more massive than a puny rocket. If analogies aren't your bag, explain that countless asteroids have bombarded the Moon's surface, many much more massive and traveling much faster than this rocket will. Mind you this happened billions of years ago, and as far as I know, the moon is still there.

Somewhat akin to the argument against the LHC creating mini black holes, because much higher energy cosmic rays have been bombarding the earth, and so if the creation of mini black holes was possible (and dangerous) we wouldn't be here right now.

Nabeshin said:
you can just concoct some analogy (a fly running into a house, or something)
That's a bit better than the BB versus a bowling ball analogy, but not much. LCROSS masses 1664 lb. A house fly: 12 mg, or about 1/63000 of the mass of the LCROSS. Scaling the Moon's mass by the same amount yields a better analogy: A house fly running into a *big* brick that weighs 1.3×1015 tons. That doesn't say much yet. The Empire State Building has a mass of 365,000 tons. That brick is equivalent to 3.5 billion Empire State buildings. A fly flying at 5,600 mph into a pile of 3.5 billion Empire State buildings is not going to move the pile at all.

Nasa is going to crash a spacecraft into the moon!
What about the clangers ?

card.jpg

"I am on another forum (not a physics focused forum) and this article was posted. Many of the users there started saying that they think this is a dangerous mission and the moon will "crash into the earth"."

Tell them to watch the video that's embedded in the article. It explicitly says that the LCROSS is schoolbus-sized, and that schoolbus-sized objects crash into the Moon every month. To use an analogy, launching LCROSS at the Moon is like crashing a truck into the Earth. Earth will not notice at all.

Ok, thank you all for your responses. I am sure this will convince them its safe.

No, it won't. It is rather difficult to win an argument against woo-woos. They are completely immune to logic and evidence.

Get your telescopes out if you are west of the Mississippi (Dam, my scope is in Upper Michigan).
The LCROSS impact plume should be visible in a 10 inch and larger scope.

Someone please take some pictures and post them here.

October 9
4:30 am PDT

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/05oct_lcrossvg.htm?list1032821"

There's plenty of readers of this forum 'west of the Mississppi' who won't be able to see this impact.

Wallace said:
There's plenty of readers of this forum 'west of the Mississippi' who won't be able to see this impact.

I am a bit confused, why won't they be able to see it?
Or was that a typo.

Because the Moon will be on the other side of the Earth at that time. I am, for instance, west of the Mississippi (I'm also east of it) but it will be broad daylight for me when this impact happens.

The world, and this forum, exists far beyond one continent!

I guess East and West have no meaning what so ever then in that sense.
I should have just said if someone is in the right place at the right time please take some pictures.

We have about 20 minutes until impact NASA TV has it live if anyone wants to watch.

Special Feed Here also:

http://www.slooh.com/special_feed.php

Sorry to appear pedantic, but my east-west thing may have obscured my point. Think of how usefull it would be, and how silly it would sound, to you if I posted that something could be seen if you 'are west of the Nile' or by anyone 'east of the Rhine'.

Somebody from NASA could have told us how boring that was.

This might be a silly question, but are the images located http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/6275279/Nasa-Moon-bombing-LCROSS-mission-crashes-into-Moon.html#" real?

Are these images that the 'lagging' spacecraft took?

Anyone has a picture of the plume?

pixel01 said:
Anyone has a picture of the plume?

I'm not sure that even NASA saw much of a plume visually. I watched with an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain (at 8:31 am my time), and I didn't see anything.

My little girl woke me up at 5:00 am to go pee. After taking her to the bathroom and getting her back to sleep, I carried my gear down two flights of stairs and locked it in our car (parked on the street) to cool down. At 7:30, the sky was almost completely cloudy. Started to clear at about 8:00, so I went out and set everything up. Still clear at 8:31 and the Moon was high in the sky. The seeing was fairly steady, and I had a clear view of the area at my highest magnification, 254x. Saw nothing, but I'm not a great observer, and, by 8:31, the features were somewhat washed out by daylight.

Last edited:

Related to Reasons why LCROSS is a safe mission

What safety precautions are being taken for the LCROSS mission?

The LCROSS mission has undergone thorough safety assessments and reviews by experts in the field. Additionally, all components of the mission have been extensively tested and certified to ensure safety.

Is there any risk of the LCROSS spacecraft crashing on Earth?

No, the LCROSS spacecraft has been designed and programmed to follow a specific trajectory that will not result in it crashing on Earth. In the unlikely event of any issues, there are also contingency plans in place to ensure the safety of Earth and its inhabitants.

What measures are being taken to protect the lunar environment during the LCROSS mission?

The LCROSS mission has been designed to minimize any potential impact on the lunar environment. The impact of the spacecraft and its Centaur rocket will be carefully controlled and monitored, and all materials used in the mission have been chosen to be safe for the lunar environment.

Are there any risks to other spacecraft or missions in the vicinity of the LCROSS impact?

No, extensive coordination and communication have been conducted with other spacecraft and missions in the vicinity of the LCROSS impact to ensure their safety. Any potential risks have been identified and mitigated through careful planning and execution of the LCROSS mission.

What plans are in place for the safe disposal of the LCROSS spacecraft after its mission is completed?

The LCROSS spacecraft has been designed with a controlled end-of-life plan that will ensure its safe disposal. This includes measures such as deorbiting the spacecraft into the lunar surface or redirecting it into a safe orbit away from the Moon.

Back