Recent important observations on dark matter for an undergrad research

In summary, the individual is seeking suggestions for their undergraduate research on dark matter. They have found an interesting review paper on observations from ten years ago and are wondering if there have been any recent important observations within the past ten years. They also mention two recent interesting observations related to dark matter and are open to suggestions or opinions on their research topic.
Shing Ernst
I would love some suggestions about my undergraduate research, thought it may be improper to ask here. I apology if I break the group rules.

My undergraduate research topic is dark matter. My plan so far is to study important observations before making other progress.

I have found an interesting review paper on observation about rotation curve by Yoshiaki Sofue and Vera Rubin http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0010594

However, it was written ten years ago, therefore, I would like to know if there are any other recent important observations on dark matter within the past ten years.

Moreover, there were two interesting observation in this week, one suggested about the actual mass of dark matter is half what we had thought by The University of Western Australia(http://phys.org/news/2014-10-dark-thought-scientists.html); another one was about claiming "direct" observation on dark matter by University of Leicester (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...matter-particles-finally-coming-core-sun.html)

If you have studied these paper, I would love to listen to your opinion on this.

Also, I would love to listen to any suggestions on undergraduate research or even research!

Thanks for your reading, Best wishes, Shing

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Recent important observations on dark matter for an undergrad research

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is believed to make up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe, and its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. What are some recent important observations on dark matter?

Some recent important observations on dark matter include the detection of gravitational lensing, which is the bending of light due to the presence of massive objects such as dark matter, and the discovery of galaxy clusters that contain mostly dark matter.

3. How is dark matter being studied and researched?

Dark matter is being studied through a variety of methods, including astronomical observations, particle physics experiments, and computer simulations. Scientists also use indirect methods, such as studying the effects of dark matter on visible matter, to learn more about its properties.

4. What is the significance of studying dark matter for our understanding of the universe?

Studying dark matter is significant because it can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also provide insights into the nature of gravity and the fundamental laws of physics.

5. How is dark matter related to dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two different components that make up the majority of the universe. While dark matter is responsible for the gravitational effects we observe, dark energy is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. They are both areas of active research in cosmology, but their exact nature and relationship are still not fully understood.