Recommend Website for Learning Math on my Own?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a website that provides unlimited practice problems with solutions, videos, and motivation to learn math on one's own. Recommendations given include Khan Academy, NPTEL, Patrick's videos, and Trig without Tears. It is noted that normal members may not have permission to post on the "Learning Materials" forum.
zoiberg137
Recommend Website for Learning Math on my Own??

When learning algebra, my instructor used an online program/website called pearson/my mathLab to assign homework. i found this to be EXTREMEMLY helpful in learning how to do the work, as it provided unlimited practice problems with solutions, and even videos on how to solve the trickier ones.

I am now studying trigonometry on my own this summer to better prepare me for calculus. Unfortunately, MyMathLab does not allow access to their site unless you are registered in a course. I am looking for a website that provides problems in such a manner. I know I can always use textbooks, however I found using a site like this to be so much simpler and easier, and most importantly, it helped to motivate me to move on to the next level/complete all the problems in one sitting. I get restless and bored with textbooks for some reason.

In any case, if anyone knows of such a site I would very much appreciate a recommendation. I don't care if you have to pay a fee to use it. It would be worth every penny!

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

zoiberg137 said:
When learning algebra, my instructor used an online program/website called pearson/my mathLab to assign homework. i found this to be EXTREMEMLY helpful in learning how to do the work, as it provided unlimited practice problems with solutions, and even videos on how to solve the trickier ones.

I am now studying trigonometry on my own this summer to better prepare me for calculus. Unfortunately, MyMathLab does not allow access to their site unless you are registered in a course. I am looking for a website that provides problems in such a manner. I know I can always use textbooks, however I found using a site like this to be so much simpler and easier, and most importantly, it helped to motivate me to move on to the next level/complete all the problems in one sitting. I get restless and bored with textbooks for some reason.

In any case, if anyone knows of such a site I would very much appreciate a recommendation. I don't care if you have to pay a fee to use it. It would be worth every penny!

thanks!

Khan Academy, NPTEL.

And shouldn't this be in the "Math and Science Learning Materials" Section instead?

oops... sorry about that!

I don't think normal members have the permission to post on 'Learning Materials' forum. But do check it out, there are quite a lot good resources in there.

In addition to dimension10's recommendation of Khan Academy, you can try out Patrick's video's on math. Another place to do trigonometry exclusively is Trig without Tears : http://oakroadsystems.com/twt/

I do not specifically know of a website that will give you good challenging problems, though. I tend to do it from various books :-p

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitum said:
I don't think normal members have the permission to post on 'Learning Materials' forum.

Oh, didn't know that. Haven't gone there before!

Related to Recommend Website for Learning Math on my Own?

1. How do I choose the best website for learning math on my own?

Choosing the best website for learning math on your own depends on your specific needs and learning style. Consider factors such as the website's reputation, user reviews, and the types of math topics covered. You may also want to try out a few different websites to see which one works best for you.

2. Are there any free websites for learning math on my own?

Yes, there are many free websites available for learning math on your own. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Math is Fun, and Math Games. These websites offer a variety of interactive lessons, practice problems, and games to help you improve your math skills.

3. Can I track my progress on a website for learning math on my own?

Many websites for learning math on your own offer tools to track your progress. This can include features like quizzes, assessments, and progress reports. Make sure to check the website's features and settings to see if progress tracking is available.

4. Are there any websites specifically for learning advanced math topics on my own?

Yes, there are websites specifically designed for learning advanced math topics on your own. Some examples include Brilliant, Art of Problem Solving, and MathHelp.com. These websites offer more challenging material and resources for those looking to further their math skills.

5. Can I get help from a teacher or tutor on a website for learning math on my own?

Some websites for learning math on your own offer options for live tutoring or Q&A sessions with a teacher. However, these services may come at an additional cost. Alternatively, you can also seek help from online forums or communities related to the website or specific math topics to get assistance from other learners or experts.