Recommendation for project related to thermodynamics

MatinSAR
TL;DR Summary: I'm currently studying physics (undergrad level). I want to find a project related to thermodynamics to present it to my professor.

I am reading this book: Heat and Thermodynamics: An Intermediate Textbook by Mark Zemansky and Richard Dittman
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070170592/?tag=pfamazon01-20

These are the ones's which the professor suggusts:
1. Make a Diesel Engine
I didn't find any source to use.
2. Brownian Carnot engine
I have founded an article: https://www.nature.com/articles/nphys3518
But's it's really complicated for me. I don't know why he suggust us to read about this engine in nature!!! Can someone introduce another source?

There are other projects but I don't remember them right now ... I will ask him about them next week if I don't find a project.
Until then, I would appreciate it if you could guide me to find other projects which are easier than making an engine or understanding an article in Nature Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Recommendation for project related to thermodynamics

1. What are some beginner-friendly project ideas related to thermodynamics?

Beginner-friendly projects could include creating a simple heat engine using household materials, exploring the principles of thermodynamics through experiments with heat transfer (e.g., using different materials to insulate a container of hot water), or studying the efficiency of various types of insulation. These projects help in understanding the basic concepts of energy transfer and the laws of thermodynamics.

2. How can I demonstrate the Second Law of Thermodynamics in a project?

One way to demonstrate the Second Law of Thermodynamics is through a project on entropy. You could create a model to show how heat flows from a hot object to a cold one until thermal equilibrium is reached. Another idea is to build a simple Stirling engine and explain how it operates based on the Second Law, emphasizing the concept of irreversibility and energy dispersion.

3. What equipment is essential for a thermodynamics project?

The essential equipment can vary depending on the complexity of the project, but common items include thermometers, calorimeters, heat sources (like Bunsen burners or electric heaters), insulation materials, and pressure sensors. For more advanced projects, you might need data loggers, thermal cameras, or software for simulation and analysis.

4. How can I incorporate real-world applications into my thermodynamics project?

Incorporating real-world applications can make your project more engaging and relevant. For instance, you could investigate the efficiency of different types of engines (car engines, jet engines, etc.), study the thermodynamics of refrigeration and air conditioning systems, or analyze renewable energy systems such as solar thermal collectors. These applications show how thermodynamic principles are used in everyday technologies and industries.

5. What are some advanced topics in thermodynamics suitable for a research project?

Advanced topics might include studying the thermodynamic properties of new materials (like nanomaterials or phase-change materials), exploring non-equilibrium thermodynamics, or conducting computational simulations of complex thermodynamic systems. You could also delve into the thermodynamics of black holes or the role of thermodynamics in climate change and energy sustainability. These topics require a deeper understanding of the subject and often involve sophisticated experimental setups or computational tools.