Recommendations for fluid mechanics textbook

In summary, the textbook used in biomedical engineering is vague and does not provide enough examples or problems to help supplement the learning process. Another book, "Transport Phenomenon" by Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot, can provide more help.
Predator
Hi, I'm an undergrad in biomedical engineering...a required class I'm taking right now is fluid mechanics...this is the textbook we use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470262842/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'll be frank...I think it sucks...too vague, expects you to fill in a lot between the lines. I need some kind of supplemental book to go with it that will explain concepts better/provide better problems. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anyone like the Schaum's outline for fluid mechanics?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Really? That is actually a pretty good book, and is nearly ubiquitous when it comes to basic fluid mechanics.

I used that book, its pretty darn good too. Get Anderson's book on Aerodynamics, I think they go well together.

boneh3ad said:
Really? That is actually a pretty good book, and is nearly ubiquitous when it comes to basic fluid mechanics.

Ok for example, the section I'm doing right now is 2.8...(6th edition). I feel like it's pretty vague compared to the problems at the back (I suppose my main complaint is that I wish they had more variety of example problems worked out in the sections)

Well It is only like a 3 page section. There are only so many examples they can give without repeating themselves, especially since that first example covers most of the section (I only have the fifth edition though, so hopefully nothing has changed). What exactly are you having problems with?

boneh3ad said:
Well It is only like a 3 page section. There are only so many examples they can give without repeating themselves, especially since that first example covers most of the section (I only have the fifth edition though, so hopefully nothing has changed). What exactly are you having problems with?

problem 2.61 "a homogenous, 4-ft-wide, 8-ft-long rectangular gate weighting 800lb..." also has a diagram

Hi, I'm an undergrad in biomedical engineering

I think this may be difficult as most texts have been written with other disciplines in mind.

You might look at books with hydraulics, machine hydraulics, or fluid logic in their titles or perhaps look on the chemical engineering shelves in the library.

There was a classic by

Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot entitled

'Transport Phenomenon'

that might be of interest.

Related to Recommendations for fluid mechanics textbook

1. What are the top recommended fluid mechanics textbooks?

Some of the top recommended fluid mechanics textbooks are "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi, "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Robert W. Fox and Alan T. McDonald, and "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by David A. Chin.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for beginners in fluid mechanics?

Yes, there are several textbooks designed for beginners in fluid mechanics such as "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi and "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by David A. Chin. These textbooks provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and are suitable for students with little to no background in fluid mechanics.

3. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that accompany recommended textbooks?

Many recommended fluid mechanics textbooks have online resources or supplemental materials such as solution manuals, lecture slides, and practice problems that can be accessed through the publisher's website or other online platforms. Some textbooks also have accompanying software programs that allow for further exploration of concepts and applications.

4. What are the key topics covered in recommended fluid mechanics textbooks?

The key topics covered in recommended fluid mechanics textbooks include fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's equation, control volume analysis, conservation laws, viscous flow, and boundary layer theory. Other topics that may be covered include compressible flow, turbulence, and dimensional analysis.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks that focus on practical applications of fluid mechanics?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks that focus on the practical applications of fluid mechanics, such as "Engineering Fluid Mechanics" by Clayton T. Crowe, Donald F. Elger, and John A. Roberson, and "Applied Fluid Mechanics" by Robert L. Mott and Joseph A. Untener. These textbooks often include real-world examples and case studies to demonstrate the use of fluid mechanics principles in various engineering fields.