Recommendations for General Chemistry text

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for recommendations for a good General Chemistry textbook. They mention that they have already looked at Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" text, which has positive reviews. They also mention other options and ask for further recommendations. Some suggestions are given, including "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" and "Chemistry: The Central Science". The conversation ends with the person planning to check out some of the recommendations before making a purchase.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could point me towards a good General Chemistry textbook. I just finished General Chemistry I last semester, and I'm taking part II next semester. We didn't have a required text for the class (nor did we even really need one), but I want to get a good comprehensive textbook for reference and further reading in the future.

I was looking at Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" text, https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607962985/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . It seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. There are two versions of it, the one linked above, and another one from the Dover Books series, that appears to be the exact same book from a different publisher, and in paperback. Does anyone have any experience with this book? I figure Linus Pauling is one of the greats in chemistry, so his text is probably a good one.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? They would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is asked now and then here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=666941) and on other forums.

To some extent it depends on your learning style. Pauling's book is a classic and generally praised, but it doesn't mean you will like it. If you can, go the library or bookstore and browse the book before buying.

Last edited:
I used Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change by Martin Silberberg and it's your average colorful, sometimes annoying, textbook.

Borek has some good advice.

Thanks for the input. I looked through that thread, and I'm currently checking out some of the recommendations in there. I'm going to see if Pauling's book is at my school library, or my local library. You're probably right that I should check it out before purchasing.

It doesn't sound like the Silberberg book would be what I'm looking for. I'm looking for less of a standard textbook type of book, and something that's a little bit more of a reader type of book. I tend not to like books that are all muddled up with millions of diagrams and pictures.

Related to Recommendations for General Chemistry text

1. What are the top recommended General Chemistry textbooks?

The top recommended textbooks for General Chemistry are "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward, "Chemistry" by Zumdahl and Zumdahl, and "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci, Herring, Madura, and Bissonnette.

2. Are there any online resources or study materials that are recommended alongside these textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources and study materials that can supplement these textbooks. Some popular options include Khan Academy, ChemCollective, and Chemguide.

3. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a General Chemistry textbook?

The key factors to consider when choosing a General Chemistry textbook include the level of detail and depth of explanation, the organization and structure of the content, and the relevance and applicability of the material to real-world scenarios.

4. Are there any specific editions or versions of these textbooks that are recommended?

While some older editions may still contain relevant information, it is generally recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook. This ensures that the material is up-to-date and may include new advancements or discoveries in the field of General Chemistry.

5. Can these textbooks be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These textbooks can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it is important to keep in mind that certain features, such as practice problems and interactive activities, may be more beneficial in a classroom setting where guidance and feedback are readily available.