Recommended Advanced Undergrad QM Book for Density Matrices and POVM's

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good quantum mechanics book at the advanced undergraduate level that covers density matrices as states and POVM's as measurements. The speaker, an engineering student, is looking for a book that explains the math behind quantum mechanics, similar to Shankar's book. Another person mentions a functional analysis book that covers projection-valued measures but requires prerequisites such as real analysis and Hilbert spaces. The speaker is also interested in learning more about POVM's due to their research in quantum cryptography.
SoleRuler
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a QM book at the advanced undergrad level? I am interested in particular about the QM formulation using density matrices as states and POVM's as measurements.

I am an engineering student, so my math background isn't too strong beyond the basic linear algebra/calculus 1-2-3 courses. No analysis or abstract algebra or anything like that, so I would actually like a QM book that can also explain the math, kind of like Shankar... except Shankar doesn't even cover PVM's as I recall (I might be wrong though).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any standard quantum mechanics book that explains POVM's and PVM's. I do have a functional analysis book that treats projection-valued measures, but this book assumes prerequisites like real analysis, measure theory, Hilbert spaces, etc.

Where did you hear about them?

http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/p001.html" is a nice little book that might interest you. Check out the links for the detailed table of contents and the scope of the book (Chapter 1.1). Density matrices are treated in 6.1 and 6.4.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion George, I will check that book out.

As for how did I hear about these things, PVM's were covered in my third year QM course. Now, I am doing research in a quantum cryptography group, and although I will mostly be working in the lab, I'd like to have a better understanding of the theory behind what I'm doing... and most of the papers I've seen use density matrices and POVM's.

FAQ: Recommended Advanced Undergrad QM Book for Density Matrices and POVM's

1. What is the purpose of an advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book?

An advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book is designed to provide a deeper understanding and mathematical foundation for the principles and theories of quantum mechanics. It is typically used as a textbook for upper-level undergraduate courses in physics or as a reference for graduate students.

2. What topics are typically covered in an advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book?

The topics covered in an advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book may vary, but commonly include wave mechanics, operators and observables, angular momentum, and time evolution. Other topics such as quantum entanglement, scattering theory, and quantum information may also be included.

3. What level of mathematical background is required for an advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book?

An advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book typically assumes a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some books may also require knowledge of complex analysis and vector calculus.

4. How does an advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book differ from a graduate-level book?

An advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics book usually covers similar topics as a graduate-level book, but at a more introductory level. It may also use simpler and fewer mathematical concepts, and focus more on conceptual understanding rather than advanced applications.

5. Are there any recommended advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics books?

There are several highly recommended advanced undergraduate quantum mechanics books, including "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by D. J. Griffiths, and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J. J. Sakurai. It is best to consult with your instructor or colleagues for their recommendations based on your specific learning objectives.