Recommended books for linear algebra and multi-variable calculus

In summary, a university student is seeking recommendations for books or websites that provide clear and simple explanations of linear algebra and multivariable calculus. Several suggestions are given, including "How to Self Study" guides, Linear Algebra Step by Step, and various textbooks and problem books. One resource is even recommended for its condensed summary of the elementary theory of linear transformations and their canonical forms.
SP1999
hey everyone just started university and the jump i feel is huge from a level and was just wondering if you guys knew of any books that had linear algebra and/or several variable calculus in them but displayed and explained stuff in a clear simple way? or if anyone has any websites that do the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
For maths or physics ?

Likes Demystifier
Or engineering?

sorry i guess its for maths

There are some really nice "How to Self Study" guides that make lots of suggestions on how to approach learning these topics and what to read. They were put together by micromass (I wonder what happened to him?)

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/?s=How+to+Self-study

Also, my own personal recommendation for linear algebra is Linear Algebra Step by Step. I find his approach fits with my style of learning pretty well (lots of fully worked out examples and FAQ style question/answer sections through out.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199654441/?tag=pfamazon01-20

thank you i will check them out :smile:

There are lots and lots of good Linear algebra books.

Linear Algebra : Done right,
Linear Algebra : Done wrong (Free; Have better problems than other books)
Introduction to linear algebra by Strang,
Introduction to linear algebra by Lang,
Linear algebra and its applications by Strang,
Linear algebra and its applications by David C Lay,
Linear algebra by Lang,

And there is a problem book on Linear algebra by Halmos.

For multivariable calculus you can try 2nd volume of Apostol's calculus and/or J. Hubbard and B. Hubbard.

Likes smodak
Buffu said:
There are lots and lots of good Linear algebra books.

Linear Algebra : Done right,
Linear Algebra : Done wrong (Free; Have better problems than other books)
Introduction to linear algebra by Strang,
Introduction to linear algebra by Lang,
Linear algebra and its applications by Strang,
Linear algebra and its applications by David C Lay,
Linear algebra by Lang,

And there is a problem book on Linear algebra by Halmos.

For multivariable calculus you can try 2nd volume of Apostol's calculus and/or J. Hubbard and B. Hubbard.
Thank you very much i'll definitely give these a look

These notes may be too condensed to be of use to you but they are free. The first 3 pages of text give a complete summary of the whole elementary theory of linear transformations and their canonical forms, such as Jordan and rational canonical form, plus the basic spectral theorems. Those 3 pages are necessarily quite dense since they summarize the content of books of some 300-400 pages, but you might benefit from reading them several times. In particular they make the observation, not always made clear in books, that diagonalizing matrices, although handy theoretically, is usually not feasible in practice, even in cases where it is theoretically possible. In particular the step of factorizing the characteristic polynomial, in the process of attempted diagonalization, is not actually feasible for most matrices. The moral is that for many applied purposes, methods of approximation should be learned as well. Those methods are not treated here however in this more theoretical essay. However, it is made clear exactly which calculations are feasible "by hand", and which ones are not. E.g. it is quite feasible to compute both the characteristic and minimal polynomials for any matrix, as well as the invariant factors and the rational canonical form, although not the Jordan [or diagonal] form in general.

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/laprimexp.pdf

as far as recommendations go, I second most of Buffu's suggestions, especially Sergei Treil's LA Done wrong.

mathwonk said:
These notes may be too condensed to be of use to you but they are free. The first 3 pages of text give a complete summary of the whole elementary theory of linear transformations and their canonical forms, such as Jordan and rational canonical form, plus the basic spectral theorems. Those 3 pages are necessarily quite dense since they sumamrize the content of books of some 300-400 pages, but you might benefit from reading them several times. In particular they make the observation, not always made clear in books, that diagonalizing matrices, although handy theoretically, is usually not feasible in practice, even in cases where it is theoretically possible. In particular the step of factorizing the characteristic polynomial, in the process of attempted diagonalization, is not actually feasible for most matrices. The moral is that for many applied purposes, methods of approximation should be learned as well. Those methods are not treated here however in this more theoretical essay. However, it is made clear exactly which calculations are feasible "by hand", and which ones are not. E.g. it is quite feasible to compute both the characteristic and minimal polynomials for any matrix, as well as the invariant factors and the rational canonical form, although not the Jordan [or diagonal] form in general.

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/laprimexp.pdf

as far as recommendations go, I second most of Buffu's suggestions, especially Sergei Treil's LA Done wrong.
Thank you, i'll give this a read

Related to Recommended books for linear algebra and multi-variable calculus

What are some recommended books for learning linear algebra and multi-variable calculus?

Some recommended books for learning linear algebra and multi-variable calculus are "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart.

What topics are typically covered in books about linear algebra and multi-variable calculus?

Topics typically covered in books about linear algebra and multi-variable calculus include vectors, matrices, systems of equations, determinants, vector spaces, differentiation, integration, and applications of calculus to multivariable functions.

Are there any books specifically geared towards beginners in linear algebra and multi-variable calculus?

Yes, there are several books specifically geared towards beginners in linear algebra and multi-variable calculus. Some examples are "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole and "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Morris Kline.

Do these books include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, most books about linear algebra and multi-variable calculus include practice problems and solutions. These can be helpful for reinforcing concepts and improving problem-solving skills.

Are there any online resources or supplemental materials available for these books?

Yes, many textbooks now come with online resources such as practice quizzes, interactive exercises, and video lectures. There are also various online forums and study groups available for students to discuss and ask questions about the material.