Recommended Books for Understanding Light and Heat

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Light
In summary: However, some very good books that could help you get a good understanding of the theory and math of light and matter are The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Richard Feynman, QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Paul Dirac, and The Physics of Light by David Bohm.
christian0710
Hi,

What books would be good to read if i want to understand:

How light works: Is there a good physics book that gives you a good intuition for how light works and how it's used in modern application. I'm really curious about the light duality view (particle wave) and want to understand everything about how light works. So where do i start? What books are good?

How Heat works: I wan't to understand what heat is, how it relates to light, and how it's used in modern applications. Do we really know what heat is? what books would be good to read to get a clear understanding of what heat is (perhaps with demonstrative experimens)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The verb 'to want' is not a contraction.

The Feynman lectures on physics is really helpful.

SteamKing said:
Let those who have never made a typo cast the first stone!

christian0710 said:
Hi,

How light works: Is there a good physics book that gives you a good intuition for how light works and how it's used in modern application. I'm really curious about the light duality view (particle wave) and want to understand everything about how light works. So where do i start? What books are good?

How Heat works: I wan't to understand what heat is, how it relates to light, and how it's used in modern applications. Do we really know what heat is? what books would be good to read to get a clear understanding of what heat is (perhaps with demonstrative experimens)?

There are a million books out there on light and heat. What's your background? QED by Feynman was a good nontechnical introduction.

"Do we really know what heat is?"
Do we really know what anything is?

One thing I would like to caution you about. There is a difference between temperature and heat. We know both pretty well.

SteamKing said:

Come on man don't be a jerk.

johnqwertyful said:
Come on man don't be a jerk.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm trying to help the OP improve his English.

christian0710 said:
Hi,

We do have a clear understanding of what heat is.

You might want to look over stuff like The Feynman Lectures on Physics and QED by Feynman. (Optics by Hecht.)
To actually get into the math of the theory of light and matter at the most advanced level is very intense and you'd likely need years to get ready to handle it (although it depends upon your current level). It takes a bit of doing to get prepared to study quantum field theory.

FAQ: Recommended Books for Understanding Light and Heat

1. What is the difference between light and heat?

Light and heat are both forms of energy, but they differ in how they are produced and how they behave. Light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye, while heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Light is produced by the vibrations of electrically charged particles, while heat is produced by the movement of atoms and molecules.

2. How does light and heat interact with matter?

Light and heat can both interact with matter in various ways. Light can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted by matter, depending on the properties of the object. For example, a white object reflects all visible light, while a black object absorbs all visible light. Heat can also be absorbed or reflected by matter, and it can cause changes in the temperature and physical properties of the object.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum and where does light and heat fall on it?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. This spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Light falls within the visible portion of the spectrum, while heat falls within the infrared portion.

4. How does understanding light and heat help us in everyday life?

Understanding light and heat is important in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, understanding how light is absorbed and reflected by different objects helps us see and distinguish colors. Understanding heat transfer helps us regulate and control the temperature in our homes and buildings. Additionally, knowledge of light and heat is crucial in fields such as medicine, energy production, and technology.

5. What are some common sources of light and heat?

Light can be produced by natural sources such as the sun and fire, as well as by artificial sources such as light bulbs and lasers. Heat can also be produced by natural sources such as the sun and geothermal energy, as well as by artificial sources such as heaters and stoves. In everyday life, we encounter light and heat from a variety of sources, including the sun, lamps, candles, and electronic devices.