Recovering some math notions: Variations

In summary, the conversation discusses the function $$f:\mathbb{S^{1}} \to \mathbb{R^2}$$ and its derivative $$\dot{f}$$, as well as a modified function $$f_{\epsilon}$$ and its derivative $$\dot{f_\epsilon}$$. The symbol ##\delta## is used as a shorthand for the differential operator, and the Leibniz rule is used to compute the derivative of the modified function. The differences between ##\delta r## and ##\dot{r}## are discussed, and the concept of limits is mentioned. The notation for derivatives is subjective and can vary among authors.
egozenovius
I have a paper and on that paper I only can read:

Let $$f:\mathbb{S^{1}} \to \mathbb{R^2}$$ be a function and $$f_{\epsilon}=f+\epsilon hn$$ and $$\mathbb{S^1}$$ is the unit circle.

$$\dot{f_\epsilon}=\dot{f}+\epsilon\dot{h}n+\epsilon h\dot{n}$$
$$\delta\dot{f}=\dot{h}n+h\dot{n}$$

can you tell me please, what does it mean that $$\delta$$, from where is it? Why $$\dot{f}$$ is not anymore in last equation?

also, I managed to recover the following formula:
$$r_{\epsilon}^{2}=\left(\dot{f}+\epsilon\dot{h}n+\epsilon h\dot{n}\right)^2$$
Can you help me to recover the $$\delta{r}$$?

What I tried:
$$r_{\epsilon}^2=(\dot{f})^2+(\epsilon \dot{h}n)^2+(\epsilon h\dot{n})^2+2(\dot{f}\epsilon\dot{h}n+\dot{f}\epsilon h\dot{n}+\epsilon^2\dot{h}nh\dot{n})$$
But now, I do not know how to compute $$\delta r$$.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the ##\delta## is the same as ##\Delta## and so ##\delta f = f_{\epsilon} - f = \epsilon h n ##

The dots over ##\dot{f}## mean a time derivative I think so that's why there's an ##\dot{h}## and ##\dot{n}##

jedishrfu said:
It looks like the ##\delta## is the same as ##\Delta## and so ##\delta f = f_{\epsilon} - f = \epsilon h n ##

The dots over ##\dot{f}## mean a time derivative I think so that's why there's an ##\dot{h}## and ##\dot{n}##
Not quite. It is ##\delta f=\dfrac{f_\varepsilon - f}{\varepsilon}##, the differential operator. ##h,n## are functions, the rest is the Leibniz rule. To obtain ##\dot{r}## differentiate ##\delta \dot{r}^2=2 \cdot r \cdot \dot{r}##.

fresh_42 said:
Not quite. It is ##\delta f=\dfrac{f_\varepsilon - f}{\varepsilon}##, the differential operator. ##h,n## are functions, the rest is the Leibniz rule. To obtain ##\dot{r}## differentiate ##\delta \dot{r}^2=2 \cdot r \cdot \dot{r}##.

Thank for your answer. Please, if it is possible, can you recommend me some books/papers? OK, it seems to be Leibniz rule, but why it was used ##\delta r## instead of ##\dot{r}##... I have the feeling that something is missing me.

egozenovius said:
Thank for your answer. Please, if it is possible, can you recommend me some books/papers? OK, it seems to be Leibniz rule, but why it was used ##\delta r## instead of ##\dot{r}##... I have the feeling that something is missing me.
I don't think there is a difference, will say I think ##\delta r =\dot{r}##. But if we take what you wrote word by word, then ##\delta r = \delta_\varepsilon r= \dfrac{r_\varepsilon - r}{\varepsilon}## and ##\dot{r}=\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0}\delta_\varepsilon r##. However, chances are that it is meant to be the same and it's only a bit sloppy noted, i.e. the limit is skipped and replaced by ##\varepsilon## as something going to zero anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by papers or books. The notation in the paper which you quoted is nowhere else defined. There is no universal truth how to write derivatives, so it's up to the author how they do it. Here is an article I wrote about derivatives in general, but I cannot promise that I have listed all possible notations.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/

Related to Recovering some math notions: Variations

1. What are variations in math?

Variations in math refer to the different ways in which a particular mathematical concept or problem can be approached or solved. It involves exploring different possibilities and finding the most optimal solution.

2. How do variations help in problem-solving?

Variations allow for a more comprehensive understanding of a mathematical concept and can lead to more efficient problem-solving strategies. By considering different variations, one can gain insights and find alternative solutions to a problem.

3. Are there any specific techniques for finding variations?

Yes, there are various techniques for finding variations in math, such as changing the variables, considering different scenarios, using symmetry, or applying different mathematical operations.

4. Can variations be applied to all areas of math?

Yes, variations can be applied to various areas of math, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. It is a fundamental concept that can be utilized in many different mathematical contexts.

5. How can variations be useful in real-life situations?

Variations have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. They can help in optimizing processes, making predictions, and finding the best solutions to real-world problems.