Rectangular and Polar Coordinates with variables

In summary, these equations are from a homework assignment and appear to be for converting polar to rectangular coordinates, but I'm not sure how they would be useful.
APolaris

Homework Statement

I'm trying to help a friend with these two questions, but given that I haven't studied this material in over a decade, it's one of the topics I cannot recall at all.

Convert the following from rectangular to polar coordinates:

(a) x2 + y2 = x

(b) y2 = 2x

Homework Equations

r2 = x2 + y2

Tan(T) = y/x, where (T) stands in for theta

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I found r = x1/2, aka sqrt (x), but am completely stumped on what to do about finding theta. Arctan (sqrt(x - x2) / (x2 + y2))... yeah, I'm pretty sure that whole tangent thing is useless. Using the reverse procedure (polar to rectangular) gives [sqrt(x) cos (T)]2 + [sqrt(x) sin(T)]2 = sqrt(x) cos(T). Then x cos2(T) + x sin2(T) = sqrt(x) cos(T). Factoring out an x, the cos2 + sin2 identity just gives x = sqrt(x) cos(T), which is... I'm pretty sure it's what was already known.

For the second: No idea how the two relevant equations could even potentially be useful, but I did notice if you take the reverse procedure (going from polar to rectangular), then using x = r cos(T), y = r sin(T), then [r sin(T)]2 = 2 r cos(T). This eventually reduces to r = 2 cos(T) / sin2(T), or r = 2 cot(T)csc(T), or any number of other expressions that leaves me none the wiser about what the polar coordinates are supposed to resemble.

I suppose if you substitute y = sqrt(2x), that gives r = sqrt(x2 + 2x). Again, no idea how this is supposed to be useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the coordinate transformations you stated above.

x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ

you don't need to find the actual value of θ

rock.freak667 said:
Just use the coordinate transformations you stated above.

x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ

you don't need to find the actual value of θ

I thought that was for converting polar coordinates to rectangular.

Anyway, does that mean my solution for the second one is complete, and that the answer should just be r = 2 cos(θ)/sin2(θ)?

For the second one, I tried redoing the manipulation without substituting sqrt(x) for r. Should the following be correct?

r2 cos2θ + r2 sin2θ = r cos θ

r2 = r cos θ

r = cos θ

Yes those should be correct.

Thank you very much. I'm certain my friend will appreciate this in the morning.

Funny how problems can be easier than they seem like this. The other day, I solved half of a Putnam question, then later failed to manage a basic geometry proof involving a circle. It's like sidestepping a pile of horse dung and falling down a manhole cover. There should really be an adjective describing people like me.

APolaris said:
Thank you very much. I'm certain my friend will appreciate this in the morning.

Funny how problems can be easier than they seem like this. The other day, I solved half of a Putnam question, then later failed to manage a basic geometry proof involving a circle. It's like sidestepping a pile of horse dung and falling down a manhole cover. There should really be an adjective describing people like me.

I think they are called over-thinkers :-p

Related to Rectangular and Polar Coordinates with variables

1. What is the difference between rectangular and polar coordinates?

Rectangular coordinates use a horizontal and vertical axis to locate a point, while polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a fixed point to locate a point.

2. How do you convert between rectangular and polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular to polar coordinates, use the formulas r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1 (y/x). To convert from polar to rectangular coordinates, use the formulas x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ).

3. Can variables be used in both rectangular and polar coordinates?

Yes, variables can be used in both rectangular and polar coordinates. In rectangular coordinates, variables are typically represented as x and y, while in polar coordinates, variables are typically represented as r and θ.

4. What is the purpose of using variables in coordinates?

Variables in coordinates allow for a more general representation of points and equations. They can also make calculations and graphing easier, as they can be used to represent different quantities and values.

5. How are rectangular and polar coordinates used in real-world applications?

Rectangular coordinates are commonly used in maps and navigation systems, while polar coordinates are often used in radar and sonar systems. They are also used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to represent and analyze various systems and phenomena.