Rectangular Drum Vibration Modes Illustration and Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a picture to illustrate the two-dimensional drumhead in the x-y plane and labeling the coordinates of its sides. The "modes" of vibration are also mentioned. The homework equations and boundary conditions for the drumhead are given, and it is clarified that the drumhead is a vibrating membrane. The speaker is unsure of how to accurately illustrate the drumhead and asks for clarification.
Void123

Homework Statement

Draw a picture to illustrate the two-dimensional drumhead in the x-y plane. Label the coordinates of the sides of the drumhead. Use this picture to illustrate the "modes" of vibration.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}Z}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}Z}{\partial y^{2}} - \frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}Z}{\partial t^{2}} = 0[/tex] ,

where Z(x, y, t) is the amplitude of vibration.

Boundary conditions:

Z(0, y, t) = Z(x, 0, t) = Z(a, y, t) = Z(x, b, t) = 0

The sides of the drumhead are parallel to the x and y axes with the corners being located at (0, 0), (0, b), (a, b), and (a, 0).

The Attempt at a Solution

It sounds like a very simple illustration, without too many details, though I want to be sure I am on the right track (since this subject is vague to me). And I think by 'drumhead' they mean a vibrating membrane. Hence, would I just draw a simple rectangle in the xy-plane with nodal lines to indicate the zero amplitude? What would that look like, without too many complicated details? This is all I have so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
No input?

Related to Rectangular Drum Vibration Modes Illustration and Equations

What is Pde - Rectangular Drum?

Pde - Rectangular Drum is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a rectangular shaped drum under different conditions.

What are the applications of Pde - Rectangular Drum?

Pde - Rectangular Drum can be used to understand the vibrations and sound production of musical instruments, as well as the structural behavior of buildings and other structures.

How is Pde - Rectangular Drum solved?

Pde - Rectangular Drum is solved using partial differential equations (PDEs) and numerical methods. These equations are solved by breaking down the drum into smaller parts and then solving for each part separately.

What are the limitations of Pde - Rectangular Drum?

Pde - Rectangular Drum assumes that the drum is perfectly rectangular and has uniform material properties. It also does not take into account the effects of air or other external forces on the drum's behavior.

Are there any real-world examples of Pde - Rectangular Drum?

Yes, Pde - Rectangular Drum has been used to model the vibrations of steel beams in buildings and the sound production of xylophones and other percussion instruments.