Recursive sets and recursive numbers: relationship?

In summary, the two standard definitions of computable set and computable number are not entirely clear, but they are both countable and have a 1-1 correspondence.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Given the two standard definitions
(1) A computable set is a set for which there is an algorithm which terminates after a finite amount of time and correctly decides whether or not a given number belongs to the set.
(2) A computable number is a number which can be approximated to any degree of accuracy by a computable function
I am tempted to say that a computable number is one that corresponds to a computable set, but
(a) I am not sure this is correct, and
(b) even if it is correct, I am not sure what "corresponds to" would mean. There are ways to make any subset of the natural numbers correspond to a real number, but I am not sure whether these would be appropriate.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would make sense that a computable number belongs in a computable set. I would agree.

Thanks, +Jace90+, but that's not quite right. A computer number does not necessarily belong in a computable set -- that is, it doesn't have to be a member of a computable set. A computable set is a set of natural numbers, whereas a computable number need not be a natural number. For example, pi is computable, but is not in a computable set. The idea is that each computable set of natural numbers corresponds to a single computable real number. {1,3,5} might correspond to 0.010101 or something like that.Since both the set of the computable numbers and the set of the computable sets are countable, there exists a 1-1 correspondence, but would this correspondence correspond to a section of an explicit one-to-one correspondence between ℝ and P(ℕ) that was not simply set up artificially in order to work backwards? This was the intent of my question; sorry for not making it clearer the first time.

Check out "Gödel, Escher, Bach" for a long discussion of FLoop vs. BLoop.

Thanks, Svein. I read the book a long time ago (in fact, I have met Hofstadter, and I know well the official translator of GEB to Russian): it's very good, and the Floop (primitive recursive functions) and Bloop (recursive functions) programs are a nice way to make his point that Gloop (a program to solve the halting problem) is impossible, but I am afraid that I do not see that this answers my question. Could you be more explicit?

nomadreid said:
Thanks, Svein. I read the book a long time ago (in fact, I have met Hofstadter, and I know well the official translator of GEB to Russian): it's very good, and the Floop (primitive recursive functions) and Bloop (recursive functions) programs are a nice way to make his point that Gloop (a program to solve the halting problem) is impossible, but I am afraid that I do not see that this answers my question. Could you be more explicit?
Sorry, I just thought I should point you in that direction. Since you already have read it, I don't have anything else to add (my thesis was in function algebras, not in mathematical logic).

Likes nomadreid

Related to Recursive sets and recursive numbers: relationship?

1. What is the difference between a recursive set and a recursive number?

A recursive set is a set of objects that can be defined using a recursive algorithm, meaning that the definition of the set refers to itself. A recursive number, on the other hand, is a specific number that can be generated using a recursive algorithm.

2. How are recursive sets and recursive numbers related?

Recursive sets and recursive numbers are related in that a recursive number can belong to a recursive set. In other words, a recursive set can contain elements that are generated using a recursive algorithm, which defines a recursive number.

3. Can a recursive set contain non-recursive elements?

Yes, a recursive set can contain non-recursive elements. A recursive set can have a combination of both recursive and non-recursive elements, as long as the definition of the set itself is recursive.

4. Is there a limit to the complexity of recursive sets and recursive numbers?

There is no limit to the complexity of recursive sets and recursive numbers. As long as the definition of the set or number can be expressed using a recursive algorithm, it can be considered recursive.

5. How are recursive sets and recursive numbers used in computer science?

Recursive sets and recursive numbers have various applications in computer science, such as in data structures, algorithms, and programming languages. They can be used to solve problems that involve repetitive or self-referencing tasks, and they are also used in the analysis of algorithms and their complexity.