Recycling Garbage: Can We Break Down Molecules to their Basic Elements?

• Thread starter tcgastevenson
  • Start date
In summary, radiation can be used to break apart molecules, however this process is energy-intensive and not very practical due to the costs and the difficulty of accomplishing it.
tcgastevenson
I am sure the answer is obvious, but for some reason it escapes me. So here goes.

Radiation can be used to break apart molecules, or so says a geology textbook I was reading. And I know the folks at CERN and Fermi-lab (spelling?) are working with atomic particle matter, and even anti-matter according to an article I read recently, so why can't we disintegrate molecules into their base atomic elements, then recycle the elemental matter?

In other words, why can we not take garbage to be recycled, and break it down to its basic elemental molecular structure and separate it into pure masses of the elements from which it is composed? Is it a matter of not possessing the technology to do it? Is it cost prohibitive? Is it even possible? Am I making any sense?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I'd imagine it to be extraordinarily difficult to hinder the continuous chemical reactions/bonding occurring amongst the elements. Secondly to separate and organize each atom isn't possible with current technologies. Advancements in nanotechnology may increase cost effectiveness and technological capabilities in the future.

To break molecules apart requires energy. A chemical reaction such as burning gasoline gives off energy, it is Exothermic. However, to break those products of the reaction back into their previous/base elements, requires just as much energy as you got out of burning it in the first place. Gotta conserve that energy. =)

So not only is it a question of having the technology, we also have to account for the costs of the energy used to do this. So for almost everything that is garbage, there is almost no reason to attempt this.

Technically we are already doing this exact thing passively. You just have to wait a few million years for the process to finish.

A company called star tech is working on this , And they have a prototype
watch this video and they explain there plasma torch and how it breaks down the garbage and turns it into elements . I don't know how good it works though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Recycling Garbage: Can We Break Down Molecules to their Basic Elements?

1. How does recycling garbage work?

Recycling garbage involves breaking down waste materials into their basic elements, such as molecules, so that they can be reused to make new products. This process typically involves sorting, cleaning, and processing the materials before they are turned into new products.

2. Can all types of garbage be recycled?

No, not all types of garbage can be recycled. Some materials, such as plastic bags and Styrofoam, are not easily recyclable and may end up in landfills. It is important to check with your local recycling facility to see which types of materials they accept for recycling.

3. What are the benefits of recycling garbage?

Recycling garbage has numerous benefits, including reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills, conserving natural resources, and decreasing the need for raw materials. It also helps reduce pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, making it better for the environment.

4. How can we break down molecules to their basic elements?

Breaking down molecules to their basic elements is typically done through a process called chemical decomposition. This involves using heat, pressure, or chemical reactions to separate the molecules into their individual components. This process requires specialized equipment and is often done in industrial facilities.

5. Are there any challenges to recycling garbage?

Yes, there are several challenges to recycling garbage. One major challenge is contamination, as even a small amount of non-recyclable material in a batch of recyclables can render the whole batch unusable. Another challenge is the lack of proper infrastructure and resources for recycling. Additionally, changing consumer behavior and promoting education about recycling are ongoing challenges in increasing recycling rates.

Back