Redirecting lost heat from propane heater

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to redirect the heat from their propane heater back to them while also ensuring safety. They are considering using a curved sheet of aluminum to reflect the heat but are unsure if it will be effective. They also mention wanting to diffuse the intense heat over a larger area. The suggestion is made to try using a larger mirror to reflect the heat and potentially extending the parabola.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got a propane heater out of my deck that I use on cold days to enjoy a fine stogie and a port.

It loses a lot of heat straight up. I'd like to redirect that heat back to me. (But safety first, I know.)

I've been thinking of a simple curved sheet of aluminum suspended above it, but I'm wondering what exactly I'd be redirecting. By the time it's over the heater it's merely warmed air.

Can I reflect the IR? To do that, I imagine my panel would need to be reflective, and positioned differently than directly overhead. It would have to intersect the direct rays from the emitter itself.

(One of the reasons I want to arrange this is because the heater is actually too intense. To get enough heat, I have to sit so close that my knees burn while the rest of me freezes. In essence, I want to diffuse the heat over a larger radiating area.)

What might be an expedient way of using this lost heat?

?temp_hash=0199b328690379a5c330276d83921034.png

image_6319.jpg

Attachments

• heater.png
    heater.png
    4 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Can I reflect the IR?
Yes, and the metal structures you see in the image are doing exactly that. You can try to extend that concept to a larger mirror.

"Reflect air": you could try to heat something else with the air (which then radiates infrared radiation again), but I guess you don't gain much from that.

mfb said:
Yes, and the metal structures you see in the image are doing exactly that. You can try to extend that concept to a larger mirror.
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Essentially extending the parabola.

Related to Redirecting lost heat from propane heater

1. How does redirecting lost heat from a propane heater work?

Redirecting lost heat from a propane heater involves using a heat reflector or barrier to reflect heat back into the room, rather than allowing it to escape through walls, ceilings, or other surfaces. This helps to increase the overall efficiency of the heater and reduce wasted energy.

2. What are the benefits of redirecting lost heat from a propane heater?

The main benefit of redirecting lost heat from a propane heater is increased efficiency. By reflecting heat back into the room, less energy is wasted and the heater can maintain a more consistent and comfortable temperature. This can also result in cost savings on propane usage.

3. Can redirecting lost heat from a propane heater be done in any room?

Yes, redirecting lost heat from a propane heater can be done in any room. However, it is most effective in smaller, enclosed spaces where heat loss is more likely to occur. It may also be more beneficial in rooms with poor insulation or drafty windows and doors.

4. Are there any safety concerns when redirecting lost heat from a propane heater?

It is important to follow manufacturer instructions and safety guidelines when redirecting lost heat from a propane heater. Make sure the heat reflector or barrier is positioned at a safe distance from the heater and any flammable objects. It is also important to keep the heater well-maintained and regularly check for any signs of damage or malfunction.

5. Can redirecting lost heat from a propane heater be done with any type of heater?

Redirecting lost heat from a propane heater can be done with most types of heaters, including wall-mounted, freestanding, and portable heaters. However, it may be more effective with some types of heaters, such as radiant heaters, that emit heat in a specific direction. It is important to check the compatibility of the heat reflector or barrier with your specific type of heater.