Redistributed Charge (Capacitors)

In summary: I'm sorry I didn't fully understand what you meant when you asked me what I used for capacitance the first time.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

Two capacitors, C1 = 2910 pF and C2 = 2230 pF, are connected in series to a 12.0 V battery. The capacitors are later disconnected from the battery and connected directly to each other, positive plate to positive plate, and negative plate to negative plate. What then will be the charge on each capacitor? (Answer needs to be in units of Coulombs)

Homework Equations

Q = C*V
V = Q/C
(Total capacitance): CTotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2
(Charge of capacitors in series is equal) Q of C1 = Q of C2
3. The atempt at a solution
I found the total Capacitance by doing the following:
1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/( 1/2910 + 1/2230) = 11262.509 PF
I found the Charge of the Capacitors by doing the following:
Q = C*V = (1262.509pF)*(12V) = 1.5150108*10^-8 Coulombs (after conversion)
From here on is where I'm a bit confused. So what I did is:
V = Q/C =(1.5150108*10^-8 Coulombs)/(1.2625*10^-9F) = 12.00008554 Volts (this doesn't make sense to me because it is basically the voltage that was given in the problem)
From there:
q1 (Charge after disconnecting) = C*V = 1.2625 (12) = 1.5150108*10^-8 Coulombs (which is what the charge was before disconnecting)

I am assuming that the charge on the Capacitors changes after disconnecting? It doesn't make sense that my calculations say that the charge is still the same. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After you remove the battery and separate the capacitors, but before reconnecting then in parallel, what is the charge and voltage on each cap?

The first equation is false as you wrote it.
You write that the combined capacitance is 11262pF but use 1262pF in the next calculation... is that a typo?
The next equation is false as written... another typo? ...what value did you use for capacitance and why?

Q=C*V is an equation straight out of my textbook, and so are the rest of the equations actually
and yes that was a typo, 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/2910 + 1/2230 = 1262.509 pF is what it should have said.

Maybe I need to clarify what the equation stands for:
Q=C*V
Q=charge of capacitor, C is Capacitance, V is Voltage

The second equation, V=Q/C is to find voltage, and it's just Q=C*V rearranged because I'm answering for V

When you use an equation out of your textbook, you have to adapt it to your needs. Leaving it in the standard form can be confusing to the reader.

1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/2910 + 1/2230 = 1262.509 pF still evaluates as false. The units don't match up.
probably you mean:
1/(1/C1 + 1/C2) = 1/(1/2910pF + 1/2230pF) = 1262.509 pF

On the third line you wrote:
Q/C =1.5150108*10^-8 = 12.00008554
... this is also false.
I'm guessing that there is a number missing, probably the capacitance. Is that correct?

You seem to be using the same variables to mean different things and some different variables to mean the same things... its hard to tell.

Excuse if I sound terse, I am on mobile.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. For the first part, yes you're right, I just calculated the reciprocal of my answer which I didn't show work for and I see how that was confusing.

Q/C =(1.5150108*10^-8 Coulombs)/1.2625*10^-9 Farads = 12.00008554 Volts

Im a little slow and bits of our posts crossed. I've added more see above...

I can figure out common stuff like leaving out when you take the reciprocal but I have to guess and I don't like guessing.
Whats more important is that you get into the habit of care when writing down physics as maths expressions... it helps with troubleshooting as well as communication.
Make sure your expressions evaluate true. Make sure you use different variable names for different things.

So what did you use for capacitance?

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to keep my units consistent in my problems and when trying to solve problems.

My capacitance that I used was 1.2625*10^-9 Farads.

Related to Redistributed Charge (Capacitors)

What is redistributed charge?

Redistributed charge in capacitors is the movement of electric charge between two conductors separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. This process occurs when a capacitor is charged and discharges, resulting in the redistribution of the electric charge between the two conductors.

How does redistributed charge affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The redistributed charge in a capacitor affects its capacitance, which is a measure of its ability to store electric charge. When a capacitor is charged, the redistributed charge increases its capacitance, while discharging decreases its capacitance. This is because the amount of redistributed charge between the two conductors determines the strength of the electric field and thus the capacitance.

What factors affect the rate of redistributed charge in a capacitor?

The rate of redistributed charge in a capacitor is influenced by several factors, including the type of dielectric material used, the distance between the two conductors, and the voltage applied. Capacitors with a higher dielectric constant, closer spacing, and higher voltage will typically have a faster rate of redistributed charge.

Can redistributed charge cause damage to a capacitor?

In most cases, redistributed charge does not cause damage to a capacitor. However, if the capacitor is subjected to high levels of voltage or current, it can result in overheating and potentially lead to failure. It is important to carefully select and use capacitors within their specified voltage and current ratings to prevent damage from redistributed charge.

How is redistributed charge utilized in practical applications?

Redistributed charge is utilized in various practical applications, such as in electronic circuits and power systems. Capacitors are commonly used to store and release energy, and the process of redistributed charge is essential in their functioning. Capacitors are also used in filters, timers, and oscillators, where the rate of redistributed charge is manipulated to achieve specific results.