Redox reaction for sour solution

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, adding sodium bisulfate to the original reaction changes the equilibrium direction, resulting in a different color.
Mathman23
Hi All,

[itex]\mathrm{Fe^{3+}(aq) + SCN^{-} (aq) \rightleftharpoons FeSCN^{2+}(aq)}[/itex]

I add some [itex]\mathrm{NaHSO_{3}(s)}[/itex] to the above reaction !

This makes the above chemical solution sour, consequently in a sour solution [itex]\mathrm{HSO^{-}_{3}}[/itex] will reduce Fe^{3+} to Fe^{2+}, meanwhile [itex]HSO_{3}^{-}[/itex] is itself oxidated to [itex]SO^{2-}_{4}[/itex].

a/ The color of the original resolution changes then adding [itex]\mathrm{NaHSO_{3}(s)}[/itex] to yellow.

b/ By adding [itex]\mathrm{NaHSO_{3}(s)}[/itex] to the orginal solution the equilibrium direction changes, such that it runs from right to left.

c/ I need help writing the reaction between [itex]HSO^{-}_{3}[/itex] and [itex]SO^{-}_{4}[/itex].

d/ Which influence does the adding of [itex]HSO^{-}_{3}[/itex] have on the concentration of [itex]Fe^{3+}[/itex]

I hope that there someone out there who is willing to assist me since this is my last post !

Sincerely
Fred

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

Let me first do the redox thing in atomic level, since it's easier than dealing with a bunch of atoms.

We know that iron(III) is reduced to iron(II), and in turn, sulfite (S4+) is oxidized to sulfate (S6+):

[tex]S^{4+} \longrightarrow S^{6+}+2e^- [/tex]
[tex]2Fe^{3+}+2e^-\longrightarrow 2Fe^{2+} [/tex]
--------------------------------
[tex]S^{4+}+2Fe^{3+} \longrightarrow S^{6+}+2Fe^{2+}[/tex]

In the real redox, you'll need to put some other correcting factors (water and hydroxide, I think) to balance additional oxygens.

Now that we've got rid of the redox reaction, we may look other things. When you add some sodium bisulfate to the medium, a redox reaction occurs; and so the thiocyanate complex changes from [itex]\displaystyle Fe(SCN)^{2+}[/itex] to [itex]\displaystyle Fe(SCN)^+[/itex]; this gives a totally different color. Iron(II) sulfate is also formed from the reaction, and the color may have also come from this one, so I don't think that the equilibrium shifts to the left, but I may be wrong; I don't insist on that.

Last edited:

Hi Fred,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you are conducting an interesting experiment with the reaction between Fe^{3+} and SCN^{-}. Adding NaHSO_{3}(s) to the solution will indeed result in a change in the equilibrium direction, as you correctly pointed out. This is because NaHSO_{3}(s) acts as a reducing agent, converting Fe^{3+} to Fe^{2+} and itself being oxidized to SO^{2-}_{4}. This change in oxidation states can also cause a change in color, which you observed to be yellow.

To answer your questions:

a/ The color change to yellow is likely due to the formation of Fe^{2+}. Fe^{2+} is typically pale green or yellow in color, whereas Fe^{3+} is usually red or orange.

b/ Adding NaHSO_{3}(s) does indeed change the equilibrium direction, as mentioned above. This is because the addition of a reducing agent (NaHSO_{3}(s)) shifts the equilibrium towards the reactants (Fe^{3+} and SCN^{-}).

c/ The reaction between HSO^{-}_{3} and SO^{-}_{4} can be written as HSO^{-}_{3} + SO^{-}_{4} \rightarrow SO^{2-}_{4} + H^{+}. This is a redox reaction, with HSO^{-}_{3} being reduced to SO^{2-}_{4} and SO^{-}_{4} being oxidized to SO^{2-}_{4}.

d/ The addition of HSO^{-}_{3} will decrease the concentration of Fe^{3+} in the solution, as it is being reduced to Fe^{2+}. This can be seen by the change in color from red/orange to yellow.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Good luck with your experiment!

FAQ: Redox reaction for sour solution

1. What is oxidation?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which a substance loses electrons, resulting in an increase in its oxidation state. It can also involve the loss of hydrogen or the gain of oxygen.

2. What are some common examples of oxidation?

Some common examples of oxidation include rusting of iron, burning of fuel, and the browning of an apple after it has been cut.

3. How does oxidation affect metals?

Oxidation can cause metals to corrode, weaken, and eventually disintegrate. This is due to the loss of electrons, which makes the metal more susceptible to further chemical reactions.

4. Is oxidation always a harmful process?

No, oxidation can also be beneficial. For example, it is a crucial part of the body's immune response, as white blood cells use oxidation to kill bacteria and viruses. It is also used in many industries, such as in the production of wine and cheese.

5. How can we prevent oxidation?

There are several ways to prevent oxidation, such as using protective coatings or barriers on metals, storing food in airtight containers, and using antioxidants in food and skincare products. Proper maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent oxidation in certain materials.

Back