Redox Reaction of Molybdenum(V) Ions

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of ammonium molybdate in an experiment to produce a blue colloidal solution containing molybdenum(V) ions. The stability and best compound for molybdenum(V) ions is being questioned, with suggestions of [NH_4]_2[MoCl_5(H_2O)] and MoCl5 as potential options. The stability of the blue colloid under heating is also being discussed.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

Anyone know something about Molybdenum(V) ions?

1n our university, we instruct an experiment to students, in which ammonium molybdate ([itex]\displaystyle (NH_4)_2MoO_4[/itex]) is reacted with tin chloride with hydrochloric acid. A redox reaction occurs, to my knowledge it should be like that:

[tex]2(NH_4)_2MoO_4 + SnCl_2 + 12HCl \longrightarrow 2MoOCl_3 + SnCl_4 + 6H_2O + 4NH_4Cl[/tex]

This reaction produces a blue colloidal solution, in which we are sure that molybdenum(V) ions are present. Is this compound the best stable molybdenum(V)-bearing one?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you considered [tex]\displaystyle [NH_4]_2[MoCl_5(H_2O)][/tex]

I could not find any information on heat of formation or stability, but I have seen this compound referenced.

I also found a comment concerning [tex]Mo_2O_5 \cdot xH_2O[/tex] which states blue colloidal solution.

Last edited:
I think Mo(V) is among the least common of its oxid. states. 2, 3, 4 are more common, I think.

However, I'm pretty sure Mo forms fairly stable pentahalides (MoCl5 for sure...and a few others too, I believe) because some of them get used for catalysis.

So, in my opinion, MoCl5 is also a possibility in your reaction...but I have no idea what color that is.

Is the blue colloid stable under heating ?

Related to Redox Reaction of Molybdenum(V) Ions

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two or more chemical species. One species loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

2. What are molybdenum(V) ions?

Molybdenum(V) ions, also known as Mo(V) ions, are ions of the element molybdenum that have a charge of +5. They are a common oxidation state of molybdenum and are often involved in redox reactions.

3. How does a redox reaction involving molybdenum(V) ions occur?

In a redox reaction of molybdenum(V) ions, the molybdenum(V) ions are reduced to molybdenum(IV) ions by gaining electrons. At the same time, the other species involved in the reaction is oxidized by losing electrons. This transfer of electrons allows for the molybdenum(V) ions to change their oxidation state.

4. Why are redox reactions of molybdenum(V) ions important?

Redox reactions of molybdenum(V) ions have many important applications in chemistry and industry. They are often used in the production of fertilizers, as catalysts in chemical reactions, and in the conversion of crude oil into usable products.

5. How can the redox reaction of molybdenum(V) ions be balanced?

To balance a redox reaction of molybdenum(V) ions, the number of electrons lost by the oxidized species must equal the number of electrons gained by the reduced species. This can be achieved by adding appropriate coefficients to the reactants and products in the chemical equation.