Redrawing a Circuit: Tips & Tricks for Power Sources

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Magnawolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit drawing problem where the asker is having trouble understanding the placement of power sources and resistors. They are also confused about the behavior of a -8V voltage and how it affects the circuit. The respondent suggests going back to basics and using Ohm's Law to understand the currents in the circuit. They also explain the role of the ground in the circuit and suggest using node analysis to find the remaining current.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

aWALk5P.jpg

Homework Equations

I just need help redrawing the circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to draw the power sources in correctly. I'm getting mixed on on whether they're in series or parallel with the resistors and such. Any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the point? There are no load nodes indicated, so I can't see that you are trying for a Thevenin equivalent and there is nothing wrong with the way the circuit is drawn now. What is it you are trying to do?

Edit: by the way, if you can't determine the current I1, you really need to go back and study the basics some more. There just is no way to create a more simple example of when to use V=IR

phinds said:
What's the point? There are no load nodes indicated, so I can't see that you are trying for a Thevenin equivalent and there is nothing wrong with the way the circuit is drawn now. What is it you are trying to do?

Edit: by the way, if you can't determine the current I1, you really need to go back and study the basics some more. There just is no way to create a more simple example of when to use V=IR
I'm trying to study the basics right now lol.

I understand I1 = 6, because the voltage is 24 V and the resistor is 4.

What throws me off is the -8V on the other side. How does it behave in the circuit?

I2 is apparently 16A. Is it because the voltage through the resistor is 32V?

Now what confuses me is I3. I3 is apparently 0.8A, which is 8V/10Ω. Does that mean the 24V has no effect on that resistor? If so, why? Does the ground play a role in this circuit?

Also, I is 22V which I don't understand at all. I'm assuming I have to find R-total and E-net. Are all the resistors in parallel? That -8V is throwing me off. Would E-net be 24+8 = 32V?

Magnawolf said:
I'm trying to study the basics right now lol.

I understand I1 = 6, because the voltage is 24 V and the resistor is 4.

good.

What throws me off is the -8V on the other side. How does it behave in the circuit?

I2 is apparently 16A. Is it because the voltage through the resistor is 32V?
. Yes, 24 minus a minus 8 adds up to 32.

Now what confuses me is I3. I3 is apparently 0.8A, which is 8V/10Ω. Does that mean the 24V has no effect on that resistor? If so, why?
How could it be anything else? It has an ideal voltage source across it that is 8v. That makes it irrelevant what the rest of the circuit is doing.

Does the ground play a role in this circuit?

It gives you a reference point for ALL of the voltages in the circuit.

Also, I is 22V which I don't understand at all. I'm assuming I have to find R-total and E-net. Are all the resistors in parallel? That -8V is throwing me off. Would E-net be 24+8 = 32V?

Forget the voltage. You've already FOUND all of the currents in that node except for I, so just do a simple node analysis. 16+6=22.

thanks bruh

Related to Redrawing a Circuit: Tips & Tricks for Power Sources

1. How do I know when it is necessary to redraw a circuit?

Redrawing a circuit may be necessary when you are experiencing issues with your power sources, such as inconsistent voltage or current. It can also be helpful when you need to add new components or make changes to the circuit design.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when redrawing a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when redrawing a circuit include not properly labeling components, not considering the power requirements of each component, and not double-checking the connections and polarity of components.

3. How can I ensure that my power sources are properly connected in the redrawn circuit?

To ensure that your power sources are properly connected, it is important to carefully follow the circuit diagram and double-check all connections. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit.

4. Are there any tips for optimizing the power supply in a redrawn circuit?

Yes, there are a few tips for optimizing the power supply in a redrawn circuit. These include using the appropriate voltage regulator for your power source, minimizing the length of power traces, and using decoupling capacitors to reduce noise and stabilize the power supply.

5. Can I use different types of power sources in a redrawn circuit?

Yes, you can use different types of power sources in a redrawn circuit as long as they are compatible with the components in the circuit. However, it is important to carefully consider the voltage and current requirements of each component to avoid damaging them or causing malfunctions.