Redshift and blueshift in expanding universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial belief that the universe was stationary, the discovery of redshift in distant galaxies leading to the conclusion of an expanding universe, and the debate between two schools of thought regarding the pace and potential slowing down of the expansion. The discovery of less redshift in distant supernovae and the search for dark energy to explain the observed acceleration of the expansion are also mentioned. Finally, the conversation includes a thought about whether gravity could be a simpler explanation for the observed redshift, but it is concluded that this is not the case due to the homogeneity of the universe.
michelcolman
At first, people thought the universe was stationary. This seemed logical, why would any object tend to move in one direction or the other if there was the same amount of mass in all directions? Then they noticed the redshift of distant galaxies and concluded that the universe must be expanding. Then there were different schools of thought, some saying that the expansion in a homogenous universe should continue at the same pace (all objects experiencing the same gravity from all sides) and others saying that an infinite universe should tend to slow down and maybe even reverse its expansion due to the gravity of the matter in it. For some reason (I never understood why), the second school of thought won the argument and it was concluded that the expansion should tend to slow down. Until, that is, it was noticed that very distant supernovae of known brightness and therefore known distance were showing less redshift than what was calculated, which was interpreted as "expansion used to be slower, so the expansion must be speeding up". So now everyone is looking for dark energy to explain why the expansion is speeding up. Did I get everything correct so far?

Now, just a thought that popped into my head: suppose that gravity IS trying to slow down the expansion of the universe (I still don't understand why that should be the case, but apparently a lot of smart physicists seem to be certain of this). In that case, light from very distant places would be gaining energy while coming towards us, right? This energy would be proportional to the square of the distance (the supposed gravitational field being proportional to the distance in a homogenous universe). That would cause a blueshift that decreases the redshift, especially at large distances! Couldn't that be an easier explanation than dark energy? Or am i just being completely naive and ignorant? I assume the latter, obviously, but just thought I would ask.

Thanks for any insights!

Edit: I just realized that kinetic energy would also be proportional to the square of the distance. I just solved my own question, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
michelcolman said:
At first, people thought the universe was stationary. This seemed logical, why would any object tend to move in one direction or the other if there was the same amount of mass in all directions? Then they noticed the redshift of distant galaxies and concluded that the universe must be expanding. Then there were different schools of thought, some saying that the expansion in a homogenous universe should continue at the same pace (all objects experiencing the same gravity from all sides) and others saying that an infinite universe should tend to slow down and maybe even reverse its expansion due to the gravity of the matter in it. For some reason (I never understood why), the second school of thought won the argument and it was concluded that the expansion should tend to slow down. Until, that is, it was noticed that very distant supernovae of known brightness and therefore known distance were showing less redshift than what was calculated, which was interpreted as "expansion used to be slower, so the expansion must be speeding up". So now everyone is looking for dark energy to explain why the expansion is speeding up. Did I get everything correct so far?
far as I know, yes.

Now, just a thought that popped into my head: suppose that gravity IS trying to slow down the expansion of the universe (I still don't understand why that should be the case, but apparently a lot of smart physicists seem to be certain of this)
Of course it is. It always has been and always will.
In that case, light from very distant places would be gaining energy while coming towards us, right?
No, because although gravity is TRYING to slow down the expansion, it is not succeeding.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
michelcolman said:
In that case, light from very distant places would be gaining energy while coming towards us, right?

No. You can't view us as at the "bottom" of a gravity well that the light from distant objects is falling into (which is where your intuition about light "gaining energy" is coming from). The universe is homogeneous; it's the same everywhere. Your intuitions are implicitly violating that assumption (because your intuitions come from things like the gravity well of a planet or star, which is not homogeneous).

Related to Redshift and blueshift in expanding universe

1. What is redshift and blueshift?

Redshift and blueshift are terms used to describe the change in wavelength of light from an object as it moves away or towards an observer. Redshift occurs when the wavelength of light appears longer, shifting towards the red end of the spectrum, while blueshift occurs when the wavelength appears shorter, shifting towards the blue end of the spectrum.

2. How does redshift and blueshift relate to the expanding universe?

Redshift and blueshift are directly related to the expanding universe as they indicate the movement of objects in relation to the observer. In an expanding universe, objects that are further away from us will appear to have a higher redshift, indicating that they are moving away from us at a faster rate. Similarly, objects that are closer to us will have a lower redshift or even a blueshift, indicating that they are moving towards us at a slower rate.

3. What causes redshift and blueshift in an expanding universe?

The main cause of redshift and blueshift in an expanding universe is the Doppler effect. This is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light appears to change as the source of the light moves closer or further away from the observer. In an expanding universe, the space between galaxies is also expanding, causing the galaxies to move away from each other and creating the observed redshift.

4. How is redshift and blueshift used in astronomy?

Redshift and blueshift are important tools used in astronomy to measure the distance and speed of objects in the universe. By analyzing the amount of redshift or blueshift in an object's light, astronomers can determine how far away the object is and how fast it is moving. This information is crucial in studying the expansion of the universe and the movements of galaxies.

5. Can redshift and blueshift be observed in other forms of radiation besides light?

Yes, redshift and blueshift can also be observed in other forms of radiation such as radio waves and X-rays. This is because the Doppler effect affects all forms of radiation in the same way, causing the wavelength to appear longer or shorter. By studying the redshift and blueshift in different forms of radiation, scientists can gain a better understanding of the movement and expansion of the universe.