Redshift and Velocity: Deriving Expression & Determining Velocity Direction

In summary, the 14.4 KeV photon from 57 Fe is red shifted as it rises from a source at ground level to an absorber placed at the top of a tower of a height of 20 m due to the energy it expends to climb the gravitational potential. Using the formula f/fo = sqrt(1-b/1+b), the velocity v = bc where c is the speed of light, and the natural frequency fo is related to the energy of the photon. To solve for Beta and find the velocity, another frequency is needed, which can be found using a formula relating height to energy or frequency. The absorber foil must have a velocity that compensates for the redshift, which can be found using
A_I_
A 14.4 KeV photon from 57 Fe is red shifted as it rises from a sourceat ground level to an absorber placed at the top of a tower of a height of 20 m because it has to expend energy to climb the gravitational potential. Derive an expression for thered shift as a fraction of the energy of the photon. What velocity of the absorber foil would be needed to compensate redshift and in which direction?

so first i found the formula f/fo = sqrt(1-b/1+b)
and to find the velocity v = bc where c is the speed of light.
so basically the natural frequency fo is related to the energy of the photon which is 14.4 KeV.
But I need to find the other frequency in order to solve for Beta and thus find the velocity. I do NOT know how to do this.
There must be a formula relating the height to the enrgy or to the frequency.
And for the second part i said: since it is redshifted we have an increase in the wavelength thus a decrease in energy and decrease in velocity.
So it is in the opposite direction of the source.
Is it right?

It's urgent :)
Thanks for any help :)
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
A_I_ said:
A 14.4 KeV photon from 57 Fe is red shifted as it rises from a sourceat ground level to an absorber placed at the top of a tower of a height of 20 m because it has to expend energy to climb the gravitational potential. Derive an expression for thered shift as a fraction of the energy of the photon. What velocity of the absorber foil would be needed to compensate redshift and in which direction?

so first i found the formula f/fo = sqrt(1-b/1+b)
and to find the velocity v = bc where c is the speed of light.
so basically the natural frequency fo is related to the energy of the photon which is 14.4 KeV.
But I need to find the other frequency in order to solve for Beta and thus find the velocity. I do NOT know how to do this.
There must be a formula relating the height to the enrgy or to the frequency.
And for the second part i said: since it is redshifted we have an increase in the wavelength thus a decrease in energy and decrease in velocity.
So it is in the opposite direction of the source.
Is it right?
Gravitational redshift is best explained using energy. The energy of the photon is: [itex]E = mc^2[/itex]. The m is the photon's relativistic mass: [itex]m=E/c^2[/itex]. The gain in energy, [itex]\Delta E = mgh[/itex]. Use the expression for relativistic mass to substitute for m.

That gives you the change in energy. How would you determine the change in frequency or wavelength?

Use your relativistic doppler approach to find the speed of the absorber that would compensate for the gravitational redshift.

Now a photon traveling upward in a gravitational field is equivalent to a photon traveling in 0 gravity viewed by an observer moving with acceleration = g (the Principle of Equivalence). So you can think of the gravitational redshift of a photon in moving from ground to a height h as equivalent to doppler shift from an observer moving with acceleration = g.

If the photon is emitted when its speed is 0 and absorbed when its speed is v = at, where t is the time it takes for the photon to go from ground level to height h, the observer will observe a doppler shift which should equal to the gravitational redshift observed by the stationary observer in the gravitational field.

Work out the expression for doppler shift at the absorber in terms of the v of this moving observer absorbing the photon at that point. Check to see if it is the same as the gravitational redshift that you worked out using the energy approach.

AM

FAQ: Redshift and Velocity: Deriving Expression & Determining Velocity Direction

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is the phenomenon in which the wavelengths of light from an object appear to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This is caused by the Doppler effect, where the object's motion away from us causes the light to appear stretched out.

2. How is redshift related to velocity?

Redshift is directly related to an object's velocity. The amount of redshift observed in an object's light can be used to calculate its velocity relative to the observer. The greater the redshift, the faster the object is moving away from us.

3. What is the expression for redshift?

The expression for redshift is z = Δλ/λ, where z is the redshift, Δλ is the difference in wavelength between the emitted and observed light, and λ is the original wavelength of the light.

4. How is velocity direction determined from redshift?

The direction of an object's velocity can be determined from its redshift by using the Hubble's law. This law states that the velocity of an object is directly proportional to its distance from us. By measuring the redshift and distance of an object, we can determine its velocity direction.

5. What are some practical applications of redshift and velocity determination?

Redshift and velocity determination have many practical applications in astronomy. They can be used to study the expansion of the universe, map the distribution of galaxies, and measure the mass of distant objects. Redshift and velocity also play a crucial role in determining the age and evolution of the universe.

Back