Reducing a Matrix of Variables

In summary, the matrix A, whose columns are the vectors above, row reduces to the 4x4 identity matrix.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

Given the following vectors: (don't give values to variables)

V0 = (1 1 1 1) V1 = (x1 x2 x3 x4) V2 = (x1^2 x2^2 x3^2 x4^2)

V3 = (x1^3 x2^3 x3^3 x4^3)

a) prove that the 4x4 matrix A, whose columns are the vectors above, row reduces to the 4x4 identity matrix.

b) Do the Vectors above span IR^4? Are these vectors linearly independent?

Homework Equations

No equations, just have to know how to row reduce, etc...

If I'm not mistaken, an identity matrix is one in which the leading entries are all 1's and descend diagonally.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's hard to show via keyboard what I did, but I first created the matrix (so the first column is all ones, etc...). Then I row reduced to get rid of the last 3 ones of the first coloumn by the following operation:

(-1)R1 + R2 -- (-1) R1 + R3 -- (-1)R1 + R4

So now my first column has a leading one (in terms of rows) followed by all zeros below it. However, I'm left with a mix of variables in the other columns (like -x1 + x2, etc...) that I can't figure out how to get rid of! I keep going in circles.

Can anyone help me? I realize it's hard to describe this in words and can't attach a windows journal file for reference...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
(Click on the formulas to see the LaTeX code used.)
So your matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & x_1 & x_1^2 & x_1^3 \\ 1 & x_2 & x_2^2 & x_2^3 \\ 1 & x_3 & x_3^2 & x_3^3 \\ 1 & x_4 & x_4^2 & x_4^3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Your first row reductions gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & x_1 & x_1^2 & x_1^3 \\ 0 & x_2- x_1 & x_2^2- x_1^2 & x_2^3- x_1^3\\ 0 & x_3- x_1 & x_3^2-x_2^3 & x_3^3- x_1^3 \\ 0 & x_4- x_1 & x_4^2- x_1^2 & x_4^3- x_1^3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now the obvious next step is to divide the second row by [itex]x_2- x_1[/itex]- and that is not as complicated as you might think. Remember that [itex]x_2^2- x_1^2= (x_2- x_1)(x_2+x_1)[/itex] and that [itex]x_2^3- x_1^3= (x_2- x_1)(x_2^2+ x_2x_1+ x_1^3[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! thank you, I did that, now I have a leading one in the second row. I;ve tried the next step two ways,

1) eliminate second entry of first row
2) make all entries below leading one of second row 1's

But neither helps me move forward

I also tried first obtaining the diagonal 1's that I need, but it gets too messy!

Related to Reducing a Matrix of Variables

What is a matrix of variables?

A matrix of variables is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns, representing a set of equations or data.

Why would someone want to reduce a matrix of variables?

Reducing a matrix of variables involves simplifying or reorganizing the data to make it easier to analyze or solve equations. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and data analysis.

How is a matrix of variables reduced?

A matrix of variables can be reduced using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, or singular value decomposition. These methods involve performing mathematical operations on the matrix to transform it into a simpler form.

What are the benefits of reducing a matrix of variables?

Reducing a matrix of variables can make it easier to solve equations, identify patterns and trends in data, and perform further analysis. It can also help in reducing computational complexity and improving the efficiency of algorithms.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to reducing a matrix of variables?

The process of reducing a matrix of variables can be time-consuming and may require advanced mathematical knowledge. Additionally, certain methods may not be applicable to all types of matrices or may not provide accurate results in some cases.