Reduction of the Centre of Gravity

In summary, to find the equivalent change of the Centre of Gravity when the amount of liquid is reduced on a ship with a displacement of 6000 tonne, you would need to calculate the CM and mass of the ship plus empty tank, then the CM and mass of the remaining fuel, and finally combine those calculations using the principle of moments to find the overall CM position.
Mads
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the equivalent change of the Centre of Gravity when an amount of liquid is reduced. This could be a fuel oil tank on a ship.

In other words, if I e.g. reduce the content what would be the equivalent vertical change of Centre of Gravity on a ship with a total displacement (weight) of x tonne?

Example: On a ship with a deplacement of 6000 tonne the fuel oil (947 kg/m3) tank is reduced 50%. Tank measurements: 18 m long, 8 m wide and 2.2 m deep (see attached illustration).
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 22.50.58.png

Hope I've made myself understandable and that some of you can help me

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've thought of using the formula:

GG2 = q*d/disp

GG2 = change of centre of gravity
q = mass moved
d = distance moved
disp = displacement of the ship

But cannot figure out what would be the right q and d since it is not quit a relocation of mass?

Last edited:
Isn't the center of gravity always half of the height of the filling level in this setup? Doesn't seem you would need a formula here.

rumborak said:
Isn't the center of gravity always half of the height of the filling level in this setup? Doesn't seem you would need a formula here.

Yes, if it was of the tank. But I want the new centre of gravity for the ship...

You are lacking sufficient information for calculating that. Without the knowledge of the weight of the ship itself you can't know what percentage of the total mass is the fuel.

It's in three stages. You just find the CM and mass of the ship plus empty tank, and the CM and mass of the remaining fuel and do a third calculation to find the overall CM position by combining the two.

rumborak said:
You are lacking sufficient information for calculating that. Without the knowledge of the weight of the ship itself you can't know what percentage of the total mass is the fuel.
The weight of the ship is 6000 tonne as mentioned in the text.

You still need to know where the tank is, relative to the CM of the ship.
Ahh- from the diagram are you assuming that the oil is filling the bilge of the ship?

sophiecentaur said:
It's in three stages. You just find the CM and mass of the ship plus empty tank, and the CM and mass of the remaining fuel and do a third calculation to find the overall CM position by combining the two.
sophiecentaur said:
You still need to know where the tank is, relative to the CM of the ship.
Ahh- from the diagram are you assuming that the oil is filling the bilge of the ship?
Yes, the tank is placed at the very bottom of the hull

sophiecentaur said:
I'm not sure what CM stands for... I'm used to danish notaions :) Can you maybe exlpain, please?

In the attached pdf it is assignment 4.4 where I have some trouble finding the reduction of the GMt (centre of gravity to meta center hight)

Attachments

• STCW examination January 2017.pdf
    528.1 KB · Views: 331
Sorry. Centre of Mass. CM is a Physicists pedantic name for Centre of Gravity.
You would still need to know the depth of the hull and the shape so you can work out where the CM of the empty ship is. (Open top? and very thin roof to tank?)

sophiecentaur said:
Sorry. Centre of Mass. CM is a Physicists pedantic name for Centre of Gravity.
You would still need to know the depth of the hull and the shape so you can work out where the CM of the empty ship is. (Open top? and very thin roof to tank?)
Thanks. I have just uploaded the assignment as an pdf. The only information I have is the hydrostatic data... Don't know if you can see it?

Mads said:
In the attached pdf it is assignment 4.4 where I have some trouble finding the reduction of the GMt (centre of gravity to meta center hight)
OMG
Not trivial then. But the part you are asking about is straightforward, I think. Point is that you can work out the various masses and CM positions and then work out overall CM position.

Relative to any origin
Total mass times distance of overall CM = mass of one times CM distance + mass of the other times CM distance + + +
It's basically the principle of moments.

Likes Mads
sophiecentaur said:
OMG
Not trivial then. But the part you are asking about is straightforward, I think. Point is that you can work out the various masses and CM positions and then work out overall CM position.

Relative to any origin
Total mass times distance of overall CM = mass of one times CM distance + mass of the other times CM distance + + +
It's basically the principle of moments.
Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I have uploaded my solution here if it could have anyones interest. Thank you very much sophiecentaur!

Attachments

• STCW January 2017 examination 4.4-4.5 solution.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 349

Related to Reduction of the Centre of Gravity

1. What is the significance of reducing the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed. By reducing the centre of gravity, the object becomes more stable and less prone to tipping over.

2. How is the centre of gravity calculated?

The centre of gravity is calculated by finding the weighted average of the distribution of mass within an object. This can be done by dividing the sum of the products of each mass element and its distance from a reference point by the total mass of the object.

3. What factors can affect the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity can be affected by the shape, size, and distribution of mass within an object. Additionally, external forces such as weight, pressure, and motion can also impact the centre of gravity.

4. How can the centre of gravity be lowered?

The centre of gravity can be lowered by redistributing the mass within an object, such as by adding weight to the bottom or removing weight from the top. Lowering the height of an object can also lower its centre of gravity.

5. What are the practical applications of reducing the centre of gravity?

Reducing the centre of gravity is important in many fields, including engineering, architecture, and sports. It can help improve the stability and safety of structures, vehicles, and equipment. In sports, lowering the centre of gravity can improve balance and agility, leading to better performance.