Referees in CV: How to Label a Private Dozent

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv
In summary, when labeling a private dozent in a CV, it is appropriate to use the abbreviation "Priv.-Doz. Dr." as it is a formal title in the German system, even though they may be addressed as "Dr." in conversation. This abbreviation may also make it easier for someone unfamiliar with the title to look it up.
SchroedingersLion
Hello guys,

I am writing a CV for PhD applications in the UK. I am from Germany.
I want to include my referees into the CV and I don't know how to label the title of one of them:
He is not a professor, but he is a private dozent. Is this title known internationally?
In the German system, a private dozent is a postdoc who earned the right to teach at universities.
In Germany they would be labelled as "PD Dr. name" or "Priv. -Doz. Dr. name"

Should I simply take one of these terms or do you have a better idea?

Regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
SchroedingersLion said:
Hello guys,

I want to include my referees into the CV and I don't know how to label the title of one of them:
He is not a professor, but he is a private dozent. Is this title known internationally?
In the German system, a private dozent is a postdoc who earned the right to teach at universities.

Regards!

You mean professional references? In the US, they are not normally in the CV, but are included elsewhere on the application.

Since I left the Air Force Academy, I have not held a faculty position, but I have supervised several undergrad research projects. This allowed me to write letters of recommendation for grad school applications and also be included as a reference. I usually encouraged the students I mentored to describe me as:

Dr. (first name) Courtney
Principal Investigator, (consulting business name)
email_prefix@alum.mit.edu

As far as I know, my recommendations have carried the same weight as they would have had I been a faculty research supervisor. In other words, the grad school opportunities have been commensurate with their GPAs, undergrad institution reputations, PGRE scores, and research accomplishments. Me being a private citizen supervising their work as an independent consulting scientist (rather than faculty) did not seem to harm their applications. Having published papers to point to seems to be pretty convincing.

Thanks for your input.
I mean academic referees for applications for PhD positions.
Therefore, I thought it might make a difference wether someone is "only" a PhD or a private dozent. I believe, it is a similar title as "adjunct professor" in the US.

SchroedingersLion said:
Hello guys,

Regards!

You should describe him as "Priv.-Doz. Dr." so that he is addressed correctly in correspondence. (In UK usage anyone who has doctorate but is not a professor will be addressed as "Dr." irrespective of their actual job title.) The longer abbreviation will make it easier for anyone not familiar with it to look it up.

Likes SchroedingersLion
Thank you!
I will do it like this then.
In Germany, they would also be addressed as "Dr." when talking to them, but in formal letters they would still be called "Priv. -Doz." as it is a formal title.

FAQ: Referees in CV: How to Label a Private Dozent

1. What is a Private Dozent?

A Private Dozent is a title given to a scholar who has completed their habilitation, a post-doctoral qualification, in Germany and some other European countries. It is a title that denotes a high level of expertise and recognition in a specific academic field.

2. Why is it important to label a Private Dozent in a CV?

In academic circles, having the title of Private Dozent is highly regarded and can add credibility and value to one's CV. It shows that the individual has achieved a high level of expertise and recognition in their field of study.

3. How should a Private Dozent be labeled in a CV?

A Private Dozent should be labeled as "Priv.-Doz." followed by the person's full name. This is the commonly accepted and recognized abbreviation for the title. It is important to use the correct label to maintain professional standards.

4. Can a Private Dozent be listed as a referee in a CV?

Yes, a Private Dozent can be listed as a referee in a CV. In fact, having a Private Dozent as a referee can add significant weight to one's qualifications and expertise. However, it is important to obtain the individual's permission before listing them as a referee.

5. Is it necessary to provide contact information for a Private Dozent listed as a referee?

Yes, it is necessary to provide contact information for a Private Dozent listed as a referee. This includes their full name, email address, and professional affiliation. This allows potential employers or colleagues to easily reach out to the referee for further information or references.