Reference for diamagnetic vs paramagnetic

In summary: The tetrahedral ligand field will result in two lower energy orbitals and three higher energy, as opposed to three lower and two higher for octahedral complexes.
JustinLevy
I am not a chemist, so I have a feeling I'm going about searching for the wrong key words or something.

What I want is a table of Fe+2 and Fe+3 compounds in solution (ie. different ligands like CO, CN-, etc.), listing each compound as paramagnetic or diamagnetic. I've searched for a nice chemistry review article that may have this, but this seems too "old" of information so I can't find anything good.

Maybe a good textbook? Or maybe I just don't know how to search for articles well without getting all kinds of noise to sift through.

Please, can anyone help?
Anyone take inorganic chem and can check their textbook, or recommend one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the CRC handbook

Fe3+ has an odd number of electrons, so at least one electron will be unpaired.

nbo10 said:
Try the CRC handbook
I looked through the online one which allowed searching. Found some iron compounds under a table for "MAGNETIC SUSCEPTIBILITY". I didn't think of looking for that. Maybe with that keyword I can find some more info online, but I'm still struggling to find a huge list. The CRC one was mostly limited to halogen salts. So they didn't even have CO or CN- ligands listed, let alone some common bidentite ones.

PhaseShifter said:
Fe3+ has an odd number of electrons, so at least one electron will be unpaired.
Some ionic complexes have two metallic centers, and so I have been warned that there are cases which are surprisingly diamagnetic. Also, apparently most Fe+2 compounds still have unpaired electrons, unless the ligands are 'just right' or something ... I wish I understood this better. Google books spits out snippets from some chemistry textbooks, so maybe I'll hit up the chemistry library later. But there has got to be some good information on the internet somewhere, if only I knew how to search for it better.

JustinLevy said:
Also, apparently most Fe+2 compounds still have unpaired electrons, unless the ligands are 'just right' or something ... I wish I understood this better. Google books spits out snippets from some chemistry textbooks, so maybe I'll hit up the chemistry library later. But there has got to be some good information on the internet somewhere, if only I knew how to search for it better.
d electron spin states

Keep in mind Fe2+ is d6, while F3+ is d5.

also, a tetrahedral ligand field will result in two lower energy orbitals and three higher energy, as opposed to three lower and two higher for octahedral complexes.

Last edited:

Related to Reference for diamagnetic vs paramagnetic

1. What is the difference between diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials?

Diamagnetic materials are those that do not have an overall magnetic field and are not attracted to magnets. On the other hand, paramagnetic materials have a weak magnetic field and are attracted to magnets.

2. How do diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials behave in a magnetic field?

Diamagnetic materials show a weak repulsion from a magnetic field, while paramagnetic materials experience a weak attraction towards the magnetic field.

3. Can you give an example of a diamagnetic material?

Some common examples of diamagnetic materials are copper, silver, gold, and water.

4. How do we determine if a material is diamagnetic or paramagnetic?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material is used to determine if it is diamagnetic or paramagnetic. Diamagnetic materials have a negative susceptibility, while paramagnetic materials have a positive susceptibility.

5. Are there any practical applications for diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials?

Yes, both diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials have various applications in different fields. Diamagnetic materials are used in magnetic levitation, while paramagnetic materials are used in MRI machines and magnetic storage devices.