Reference for N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills

• Thread starter Fedecart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the speaker is looking for a review article or book on extended N=4 supersymmetry in 3=2+1 spacetime dimensions with 8 supercharges. They are familiar with the N=1, d=4 case and need to understand the SuperYangMills lagrangian coupled with matter hypermultiplets in the N=4 case. They are specifically asking for advice on where to find this information. The expert summarizer notes that there may not be a d=3 N=4 super Yang Mills theory, and in three dimensions, Chern Simons theories are typically used.
Fedecart
Hi!
I am looking for a review article on extended N=4 supersymmetry in 3=2+1 spacetime dimensions.
(8 supercharges in total).
I am familiar with the N=1, d=4 case, but now I need to study the N=4, d=3.

Is anyone aware of the existence of such an introductory article, or a book in which this case is treated, starting from the basics?
In particular I need to understand how to write the SuperYangMills lagrangian, coupled with the matter hypermultiplets.
What does it change from the N=1 case?

Thanks for the advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is such a thing as a d=3 N=4 super Yang Mills theory. In three dimensions you usually work with Chern Simons theories, but I could be wrong.

Related to Reference for N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills

1. What is N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills?

N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills is a supersymmetric quantum field theory that describes the interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It is a mathematical model used in theoretical physics to study the strong nuclear force.

2. What is the significance of N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills?

N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills is significant because it is one of the few theories that is both mathematically consistent and able to describe real-world phenomena. It has been extensively studied by physicists and has provided valuable insights into the nature of the strong nuclear force.

3. How is N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills related to other theories?

N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills is related to other supersymmetric theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also related to string theory and other quantum field theories. Understanding the connections between different theories is an important area of research in theoretical physics.

4. What are the practical applications of N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills?

Currently, there are no direct practical applications of N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills. However, the insights gained from studying this theory could lead to advancements in technology, such as developing more efficient ways to generate energy or improving our understanding of the universe.

5. What are the challenges in studying N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills?

One of the main challenges in studying N=4 d=3 SuperYangMills is its complexity. The mathematical equations involved are highly intricate and require advanced techniques to solve. Additionally, as with any theoretical physics, it can be difficult to test the predictions of the theory experimentally.