Refinery Expertise: Enhancing Propane/Ethane Streams and Quench Processes

• Thread starter katchum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quench
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for increasing ethene production from a propane/ethane stream in an ethane cracker. It is suggested to use a higher temperature and low pressure, as well as a catalyst to assist in the reaction. The removal of water after compression is due to it being in liquid form, while acid removal should be done before condensation to prevent material problems. The question of why the process follows a specific order of steps (quench, compression, acid removal, compression, water removal) is raised.
katchum
Does anyone know how to get more ethene out of a propane/ethane stream? I know you can use a higher temperature, but can you do something with the steam ratio or pressure too?

Also:

After the reaction, we use a quench with water injection. Why should we do a compression step first before removing the acid components of the stream? And why would we remove the water at the end of all the compression steps and not after the quench?

Anyone an expert in refinery here?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I am an old retired ChE that used to work on refining process design years ago and may be a bit rusty. I have never worked on an ethane cracker, but low pressure should assist the reaction since more moles are being produced than consummed. High temperature helps endothermic reactions. I believe a catalyst is required to assist the reaction.

As to water removal after compression is because it is liquid not gas (steam). If acid gas is present (H2S) that should be removed before condensation to minimize material problems.

But that doesn't answer how to get more ethene than propene. (pressure wise)

As for the temperature I know you have to have a very high temperature, because ethene is favored over propene this way.

About the water: I thought that after the quench the steam would have already condensed, so it is removable? But I think, I think...: when you compress everything, there will be more acid soluble in the water so you don't have to scrub the acid gas and waste precious alkaline solution. You can then let some acid solvate into the water and then remove the acid water.

What I don't understand is: why:

quench - compression - acid removal - compression - water removal

Why don't they just do:

quench - acid removal - compression - water removal

Last edited:

Related to Refinery Expertise: Enhancing Propane/Ethane Streams and Quench Processes

1. What is the purpose of enhancing propane/ethane streams in a refinery process?

The purpose of enhancing propane/ethane streams in a refinery process is to increase the efficiency and productivity of the overall process. This can include improving the quality of the final product, reducing waste and emissions, and optimizing the use of resources such as energy and raw materials.

2. How does quenching play a role in refinery expertise for propane/ethane streams?

Quenching is an important aspect of refinery expertise for propane/ethane streams as it helps to control the temperature and pressure of the streams during the refining process. This is crucial for maintaining the desired properties and quality of the final product, as well as ensuring safety and stability within the equipment and processes.

3. What are some common challenges faced when enhancing propane/ethane streams in a refinery?

Some common challenges when enhancing propane/ethane streams in a refinery may include managing the composition and purity of the streams, controlling the temperature and pressure, and minimizing the formation of impurities and by-products. Additionally, optimizing the use of resources and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards can also be challenging.

4. What are some techniques and technologies used for enhancing propane/ethane streams in a refinery?

There are various techniques and technologies utilized in refinery expertise for enhancing propane/ethane streams. These may include distillation, catalytic cracking, fractionation, and molecular sieves to name a few. Additionally, advanced analytical methods and control systems may also be employed to monitor and optimize the process.

5. How can enhancing propane/ethane streams benefit the overall refining industry?

Enhancing propane/ethane streams can have numerous benefits for the overall refining industry. This can include improving the profitability and competitiveness of refineries, reducing environmental impacts, and meeting the increasing demand for high-quality and sustainable products. It can also lead to advancements in technology and innovation in the industry as a whole.