Reflected light from a polarizer

In summary, when unpolarized light is reflected from a polarizer, it becomes polarized with opposite parity and its intensity varies based on the angle of incidence. This applies to any type of polarizer, whether it be linear or circular. The specific effects of reflection from a polarizer may vary depending on the type, such as a Glan-Thompson prism transmitting the orthogonal states in different directions or a Polaroid absorbing one component. However, in general, the reflected component will be different from the transmitted counterpart.
DivGradCurl
Hi Folks,

I have a general question. What happens to unpolarized light once it's reflected from a polarizer?

My best guess is that it's polarized with opposite parity relative to the transmitted light with intensity varying as a function of angle of incidence.

I think my answer applies to any polarizer (linear or circular). If you have a reference that addresses effects upon reflection from a polarizer, I'd be glad to read more. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
There are different kinds of polarizers: for example, a Glan-Thomspon prism transmits the orthogonal states in different directions. Polaroid (IIRC) absorbs one component.

I'm sorry, I did not mention I'm assuming a sheet polarizer. However, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'm just curious about how different the reflected component would be from the transmitted counterpart (in a general sense).

Related to Reflected light from a polarizer

1. What is "reflected light from a polarizer"?

Reflected light from a polarizer refers to the light that bounces off of a polarizing filter or material. This light is polarized, meaning that its waves are all oriented in a specific direction.

2. How does a polarizer work?

A polarizer works by allowing only light waves that are oriented in a specific direction to pass through, while blocking all other orientations. This results in a polarized beam of light.

3. What types of materials can act as polarizers?

Common materials that can act as polarizers include polarizing filters, polarizing film, and certain crystals such as tourmaline and calcite.

4. What is the purpose of using a polarizer?

The purpose of using a polarizer is to control the direction and intensity of light. This can be useful in various applications, such as reducing glare from surfaces or enhancing contrast in photography.

5. Can polarized light be harmful?

No, polarized light is not inherently harmful. However, in certain situations such as driving or using LCD screens, the polarized light can cause distortions or reduce visibility if not used properly.