Reflection dependence from wavelenght

In summary, the wavelengths that are more intense in a reflected ray are the ones that are perpendicular to the glass surface.
prehisto

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have this exercise and I m confused.
Incident (white light) light ray is perpendicular to glass surface , glass plate is 0,4microm thick. Which wavelengths in reflected ray becomes more intense?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that light is refracted on the surface of 2 different mediums, different wavelengths are refracted in different angles.
But i do not know nothing about wavelength and/or intensity dependence from reflection. And its seems weird that intensity of some wavelengths increases after reflection.

Could someone,please, help?
Maybe some tips about which physical phenomenon I should study?

Physics news on Phys.org
prehisto said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have this exercise and I m confused.
Incident (white light) light ray is perpendicular to glass surface , glass plate is 0,4microm thick. Which wavelengths in reflected ray becomes more intense?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that light is refracted on the surface of 2 different mediums, different wavelengths are refracted in different angles.
But i do not know nothing about wavelength and/or intensity dependence from reflection. And its seems weird that intensity of some wavelengths increases after reflection.

Could someone,please, help?
Maybe some tips about which physical phenomenon I should study?
Think of interference. For which wavelength is constructive interference in the reflected light?

Likes prehisto
ehild said:
Think of interference. For which wavelength is constructive interference in the reflected light?

Thank you for your reply
Ok, I think I go it.
First I calculate the angle of light ray inside the glass from Snell's law.
Second I use Thin films equation for constructive interference and calculate the wavelengths by altering m in the formula.
Correct?

prehisto said:
Thank you for your reply
Ok, I think I go it.
First I calculate the angle of light ray inside the glass from Snell's law.
Second I use Thin films equation for constructive interference and calculate the wavelengths by altering m in the formula.
Correct?
No need to calculate the angle, as the incidence is perpendicular, that is, the angle of incidence is 0 degree. The refracted ray does not change direction.
The second plan is correct, find the condition for constructive interference for reflected light and select the wavelength by altering m.

ehild said:
No need to calculate the angle, as the incidence is perpendicular, that is, the angle of incidence is 0 degree. The refracted ray does not change direction.
The second plan is correct, find the condition for constructive interference for reflected light and select the wavelength by altering m.

OK, thank you again for help!

Related to Reflection dependence from wavelenght

1. What is reflection dependence from wavelength?

Reflection dependence from wavelength is the phenomenon where the amount of light reflected from a surface changes depending on the wavelength of the incident light. This is due to the reflective properties of the material the surface is made of.

2. How does reflection dependence from wavelength affect color perception?

The reflection dependence from wavelength is responsible for the colors we perceive. Objects appear to have a certain color because they reflect certain wavelengths of light while absorbing others. This is why objects appear differently under different lighting conditions or when viewed under different wavelengths, such as infrared or ultraviolet light.

3. Can reflection dependence from wavelength be controlled?

Yes, reflection dependence from wavelength can be controlled through the use of special coatings or materials. These can be designed to selectively reflect certain wavelengths of light, giving objects a specific color or reducing glare.

4. How do scientists study reflection dependence from wavelength?

Scientists study reflection dependence from wavelength through various experiments and measurements. They may use spectrophotometers to measure the amount of light reflected at different wavelengths, or they may use computer simulations to model how different materials reflect light at different wavelengths.

5. What are some real-world applications of reflection dependence from wavelength?

Reflection dependence from wavelength has many practical applications, such as in photography, where it is used to create different lighting effects and color filters. It is also important in the design of optical devices such as lenses and mirrors, as well as in the development of solar cells and other energy technologies that rely on the absorption and reflection of specific wavelengths of light.