Reflection/Refraction water tank question

In summary, the tank has marks every 10 cm along one wall, and the 0 cm mark is barely submerged. As you stand beside the opposite wall, your eye is level with the top of the water.The tank has marks every 10 cm along one wall, and the 0 cm mark is barely submerged. As you stand beside the opposite wall, your eye is level with the top of the water. If the 0 cm is at eye level, then wouldn't that be the highest mark you can see?
ann2080

Homework Statement

[/B]
The 80-cm-tall, 65-cm-wide tank shown in the figure is completely filled with water. The tank has marks every 10 cm along one wall, and the 0 cm mark is barely submerged. As you stand beside the opposite wall, your eye is level with the top of the water.

Part A asked "Can you see the marks from the top of the tank (the 0 cm mark) going down, or from the bottom of the tank (the 80 cm mark) coming up?" I already answered this question: We can see the marks from the bottom of the tank coming up.

Which is the lowest or highest mark, depending on your answer to part a, that you can see?
d=__cm

I have attached an image I found online of the figure

Homework Equations

The only equation that I can think of would be Snell's Law n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how or where to start. If the 0 cm is at eye level, then wouldn't that be the highest mark you can see? Should I be sketching rays from each mark to the eye? If so, wouldn't they all reach the eye?
physics-drawin-png.25408.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea to sketch rays from each mark to the eye is great! Just remember that your eye isn't in the water; your eye is in the air. If you'd like, you can imagine that your eye is very close to but not touching the edge (e.g. 1 mm or 1 cm). The wording in these sorts of problems can be a bit confusing at first.

Next time you're swimming in a pool, see if you can test this out.

Scott Redmond said:
Your idea to sketch rays from each mark to the eye is great! Just remember that your eye isn't in the water; your eye is in the air. If you'd like, you can imagine that your eye is very close to but not touching the edge (e.g. 1 mm or 1 cm). The wording in these sorts of problems can be a bit confusing at first.

Next time you're swimming in a pool, see if you can test this out.
Thank you for replying! So as the rays head toward the eye, does the incident ray hit the edge of the tank (air-water boundary?) and then refract in air before it hits the eye? Sorry, I'm still a bit lost. Wouldn't they all still hit the eye?

Yes, there is refraction at the air-water boundary on the horizontal surface of the water. The light then has to travel through some air -- even if it's less than 1 mm -- before it hits the eye.

Try it out with some rays, maybe starting 10 cm below the surface, and you'll see whether all of the rays hit the eye. You're correct to use Snell's law for this.

Related to Reflection/Refraction water tank question

1. What is the purpose of the water tank in the reflection/refraction experiment?

The water tank is used to simulate the behavior of light as it passes through different mediums. The water acts as a transparent medium, allowing us to observe how light is reflected and refracted at the interface between the air and water.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection and refraction in this experiment?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the light ray enters the water tank, determines the angle of reflection and refraction. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, while the angle of refraction is determined by Snell's law which takes into account the refractive indices of the two mediums.

3. How does the depth of the water in the tank affect the results of the experiment?

The depth of the water in the tank does not affect the behavior of light in terms of reflection and refraction. However, it does affect the path of the light rays as they travel through the tank, making the experiment more visually interesting and easier to observe.

4. Can this experiment be used to demonstrate other properties of light besides reflection and refraction?

Yes, this experiment can also be used to demonstrate other properties of light such as diffraction, polarization, and total internal reflection. By changing the angle and position of the light source, different phenomena can be observed in the water tank.

5. What real-life applications can be demonstrated using this experiment?

This experiment can help us understand how light behaves when it passes through different mediums, which has practical applications in fields such as optics, photography, and even the design of eyeglasses. It can also be used to explain natural phenomena like rainbows and mirages.