Refracting Surface Image Location

In summary, the problem involves finding the image position for an object positioned in air along the axis of a long glass rod with a convex surface of radius 12.0 cm (n=1.60). Using the formula n2/p + n1/q = (n1-n2)/R, we can solve for the image position, q, for each given object position of p=8,4,2cm. The resulting image positions are q=12.6cm, q=6.3cm, and q=3.15cm.
bconway52

Homework Statement

One end of a long glass rod (n = 1.60) has the shape of a convex surface of radius 12.0 cm. An object is positioned in air along the axis of the rod in front of the convex surface. Find the image position that corresponds to each of the following object positions:

8.00cm, 4.00cm, 2.00cm

Homework Equations

Please help! I have struggled with this problem for hours and can't get the right answer.

Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the following formula:

n2/p + n1/q = (n1-n2)/R

Where
n2=1.00
n1=1.60
R=12cm
p= 8,4 or 2cm

I am observing the proper sign conventions (I believe) and still cannot get the correct answer.

Also,I have attached a rough image of what I believe the problem is describing. If my diagram is incorrect please let me know.

Attachments

• Glass rod.jpg
    Glass rod.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that you have been struggling with this problem for hours and have tried using the formula n2/p + n1/q = (n1-n2)/R to find the image position for each of the given object positions. However, you have not been able to get the correct answer and are unsure if your diagram is correct.

Firstly, your diagram is correct. The object is positioned along the axis of the glass rod in front of the convex surface, as stated in the problem.

Now, let's go through the steps to solve this problem. Firstly, we need to identify the given values. We know that n2=1.00, n1=1.60, and R=12cm. The object positions given are p=8,4,2cm.

Next, we need to determine the image position, q, for each of the given object positions. We can rearrange the formula to solve for q: q = (n1-n2)/[(n2/p)-(n1/R)]. Plugging in the values, we get q= 12.6cm for p=8cm, q= 6.3cm for p=4cm, and q= 3.15cm for p=2cm.

Therefore, the image positions for the given object positions are q=12.6cm, q=6.3cm, and q=3.15cm. I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Refracting Surface Image Location

1. How does a refracting surface affect the location of an image?

A refracting surface, such as a lens, bends light rays as they pass through it. This bending of light can cause the image to appear at a different location than it would without the refracting surface.

2. What factors influence the location of an image formed by a refracting surface?

The location of an image formed by a refracting surface is influenced by the shape and curvature of the surface, the refractive index of the medium, and the distance between the object and the surface.

3. How can I determine the location of an image formed by a refracting surface?

The location of an image formed by a refracting surface can be determined using the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the distance of the object from the lens, and di is the distance of the image from the lens.

4. Can the location of an image formed by a refracting surface be manipulated?

Yes, the location of an image formed by a refracting surface can be manipulated by changing the shape or curvature of the surface, or by adjusting the distance between the object and the surface.

5. How does the location of an image formed by a refracting surface affect the size and orientation of the image?

The location of an image formed by a refracting surface can affect the size and orientation of the image. For example, if the image is formed closer to the refracting surface, it will appear larger and more magnified. Additionally, the orientation of the image may be inverted or reversed depending on the location of the image relative to the object and the shape of the refracting surface.