Refraction as an explanation for light curvature

In summary: That is an important distinction, as the Bedford Level experiment did not measure refraction at sufficiently low angles.
omrit
Wikipedia states that:
"If the measurement is close enough to the surface, light rays can curve downward at a rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth's surface. In this case, the two effects of assumed curvature and refraction could cancel each other out and the Earth will appear flat in optical experiments."

My question is -- why would the light curve necessarily downward, and why would it curve at the rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth?

Science news on Phys.org
omrit said:
Wikipedia states that:
"If the measurement is close enough to the surface, light rays can curve downward at a rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth's surface. In this case, the two effects of assumed curvature and refraction could cancel each other out and the Earth will appear flat in optical experiments."

My question is -- why would the light curve necessarily downward, and why would it curve at the rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth?
Do you have a reference more specific than "wikipedia says"? The article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction does not say such a thing.

The density gradient of air means that, if all other things are equal, light travels more slowly near the surface where the atmosphere is most dense. That causes a downward curve. If that downward curvature were greater than or equal to the curvature of the Earth's surface then we would not see the sun set (we would, instead, expect to see it fade out to an orange glow and then to nothing as the viewing path through the atmosphere becomes longer and longer).

Thanks. The Wikipedia entry I took this from is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
It claims that this effect (light rays curving downward at a rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth's surface) can "explain" why long water stretches (like in the Bedford Level experiment) seem flat, rather than taking the curvature of the Earth. So I understand from your reply that you disagree?

omrit said:
Thanks. The Wikipedia entry I took this from is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
It claims that this effect (light rays curving downward at a rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth's surface) can "explain" why long water stretches (like in the Bedford Level experiment) seem flat, rather than taking the curvature of the Earth. So I understand from your reply that you disagree?
I disagree with a claim that atmospheric refraction is, on average, equal to the curvature of the Earth at sufficiently low altitudes and viewing angles. However, that is not a claim that is made on the page in question.

If you chase the refererence from Wiki, it is to a document on celestial navigation. That document does not support a claim that atmospheric refraction is, on average, equal to the curvature of the Earth at sufficiently low viewing angles. At various places, it does point out that the effects of refraction are most erratic at low angles.

On close reading, the Wiki page that you point to explaining the negative result of the Bedford Level experiment also does not quite claim that atmospheric refraction is, on average, equal to the curvature of the Earth at sufficiently low viewing angles. It only claims that refraction can attain such rates of curvature.

Related to Refraction as an explanation for light curvature

1. How does refraction cause light to curve?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different optical density. When light enters a medium at an angle, it changes speed and bends, causing the direction of the light to change. This bending is what creates the curvature of light.

2. What types of mediums can cause light to refract?

Any medium with a different optical density than air can cause light to refract. This includes materials such as water, glass, and air with varying temperatures and densities.

3. Can refraction cause light to curve in a vacuum?

No, refraction only occurs when light passes through a medium with a different optical density. In a vacuum, where there is no medium, light will travel in a straight line and not experience any refraction or curvature.

4. How does the curvature of light due to refraction affect our perception of objects?

The curvature of light due to refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or shifted from their actual position. This is commonly seen in the phenomenon of mirages, where the bending of light creates the illusion of water or objects appearing in the distance.

5. Is refraction the only explanation for light curvature?

No, refraction is not the only explanation for light curvature. Other factors such as gravitational lensing, which occurs when light is bent by the gravitational pull of massive objects, can also cause light to curve. Additionally, the curvature of spacetime in general relativity can also affect the path of light.