Refraction due to attractive potential

In summary, electrons incident on a crystal with an attractive potential of 15V experience refraction. To calculate the angle of refraction, Snell's law can be used. However, the potential also changes the wavelength of the electrons, which must be taken into account.
missmaria
Electrons incident on a crystal suffer refraction due to an attractive potential of 15V. If the angle of incidence is 45 degrees and the electrons have an incident energy of 100eV, what is the angle of refraction?

Ok, so i know that i have to use snell's law, but I'm stuck on calculating the effect of the attractive potential of the crystal. please help! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
missmaria said:
Electrons incident on a crystal suffer refraction due to an attractive potential of 15V. If the angle of incidence is 45 degrees and the electrons have an incident energy of 100eV, what is the angle of refraction?

Ok, so i know that i have to use snell's law, but I'm stuck on calculating the effect of the attractive potential of the crystal. please help! thanks

The potential changes the wavelength of the electrons. Thus causing the refraction.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of refraction and how it is affected by an attractive potential. Refraction is the bending of a wave as it passes through a medium with a different density, and this bending is determined by the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the medium.

In this case, we have an additional factor of the attractive potential of the crystal. This potential will cause the electrons to experience a force towards the crystal, which will affect their trajectory and therefore the angle of refraction.

To calculate the effect of the attractive potential, we can use the concept of potential energy. The potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field is given by the equation PE = qV, where q is the charge of the particle and V is the potential difference. In this case, the potential difference is 15V.

Therefore, the potential energy of the electrons incident on the crystal will be 100eV x 15V = 1500eV. This additional potential energy will cause the electrons to deviate from their original path and will result in a change in the angle of refraction.

To determine the angle of refraction, we can use Snell's law which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

In this case, the angle of incidence is given as 45 degrees, and we know the refractive index of the medium (crystal) is affected by the attractive potential. Therefore, we can write the equation as sin 45 degrees / sin θ = 1 / n, where θ is the angle of refraction and n is the effective refractive index of the crystal.

To solve for θ, we need to determine the value of n. This can be done by considering the potential energy of the electrons and using the equation for potential energy to determine the effective refractive index.

Once we have determined the value of n, we can solve for θ using the equation above. This will give us the angle of refraction for the electrons incident on the crystal with an incident energy of 100eV and an angle of incidence of 45 degrees.

In summary, the angle of refraction in this scenario can be calculated by taking into account the attractive potential of the crystal and using Snell's law to determine the effective refractive index. This

FAQ: Refraction due to attractive potential

1. What is "Refraction due to attractive potential"?

Refraction due to attractive potential is a phenomenon where light waves bend as they pass through a medium with varying refractive index. This is caused by the attractive forces between the light waves and the particles of the medium, which leads to a change in the direction of the light wave.

2. How does refraction due to attractive potential occur?

Refraction due to attractive potential occurs because the speed of light changes as it passes through a medium with varying refractive index. This change in speed results in a change in the direction of the light wave, causing it to bend.

3. Can refraction due to attractive potential be observed in everyday life?

Yes, refraction due to attractive potential can be observed in everyday life. One common example is when we see a straw appearing to be bent when placed in a glass of water. This is due to the change in refractive index between air and water, causing the light to bend as it passes through the two mediums.

4. What factors affect the amount of refraction due to attractive potential?

The amount of refraction due to attractive potential is affected by the angle at which the light wave enters the medium, the refractive index of the medium, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the density and temperature of the medium can also play a role in the amount of refraction.

5. How is refraction due to attractive potential used in scientific research?

Refraction due to attractive potential is widely used in various scientific fields, including optics, fluid dynamics, and atmospheric science. It is used to study the properties of different mediums and to understand the behavior of light waves as they pass through these mediums. It also has practical applications in fields such as microscopy, astronomy, and meteorology.

Back