Refraction due to attractive potential

In summary, to calculate the angle of refraction for electrons incident on a crystal with an attractive potential of 15V, we can use the equation E=1/2*m*v^2=eV and Snell's law. By solving for the velocity of the electrons and using the refractive index of the crystal, we can determine that the angle of refraction is approximately 31.8 degrees.
missmaria

Homework Statement

Electrons incident on a crystal suffer refraction due to an attractive potential of 15V. If the angle of incidence is 45 degrees and the electrons have an incident energy of 100eV, what is the angle of refraction?

Homework Equations

Snell's law: n1*sin(theta1)=n2*sin(theta2)

E=1/2*m*v^2=eV

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so i know that i have to use snell's law, but I'm stuck on calculating the effect of the attractive potential of the crystal. please help! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your question. To calculate the effect of the attractive potential on the electrons, we can use the equation E=1/2*m*v^2=eV, where E is the energy of the electrons, m is the mass of the electrons, v is the velocity of the electrons, and e is the elementary charge. In this case, we know that the incident energy of the electrons is 100eV, so we can solve for the velocity of the electrons.

v=√(2E/m)=√(2*100eV/9.11*10^-31 kg)=1.31*10^7 m/s

Now, to calculate the angle of refraction, we can use Snell's law. Since the incident angle is 45 degrees, we can solve for the refracted angle using the equation n1*sin(45)=n2*sin(theta2), where n1 is the refractive index of the medium the electrons are incident on and n2 is the refractive index of the crystal. We know that the refractive index of a medium is equal to the square root of its dielectric constant, so we can use the dielectric constant of the crystal to calculate its refractive index.

n2=√(15V/100eV)=√(0.15)=0.387

Now we can solve for the angle of refraction:

sin(theta2)=n1/n2*sin(theta1)=1/0.387*sin(45)=0.517

theta2=sin^-1(0.517)=31.8 degrees

Therefore, the angle of refraction is approximately 31.8 degrees. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Scientist

FAQ: Refraction due to attractive potential

What is refraction due to attractive potential?

Refraction due to attractive potential is the phenomenon in which light rays passing through a medium with varying refractive index are bent towards regions of higher refractive index. This is caused by the attractive forces between the light and the medium particles.

How is refraction due to attractive potential different from normal refraction?

Normal refraction occurs when light travels from one medium to another with a different refractive index, causing a change in the direction of the light. Refraction due to attractive potential, on the other hand, occurs within a single medium with varying refractive index.

What is the role of attractive potential in refraction?

The attractive potential between the light and medium particles causes a change in the speed of light as it travels through the medium. This change in speed leads to a change in the direction of the light, resulting in refraction.

What factors affect the extent of refraction due to attractive potential?

The extent of refraction due to attractive potential depends on the strength of the attractive potential, the angle of incidence, and the distance traveled by the light through the medium.

What are some real-world applications of refraction due to attractive potential?

Refraction due to attractive potential is responsible for various natural phenomena such as mirages, twinkling of stars, and the bending of sunlight in the atmosphere. It is also used in optical devices such as lenses and prisms to manipulate light for various purposes.

Back