Refraction in Isosceles triangle [Uni Phys 2]

In summary, the isosceles prism in the given figure has an apex angle of 53.4° and an index of refraction of 1.41. In part A of the problem, the smallest angle of incidence for which a ray can enter the left face and exit the right face is found using the critical angle formula. In part B, the angle of incidence required for the ray to exit the prism with an identical angle of refraction is also determined. The final answer for part A is arcsine(sin(53.4°-arcsine(1/1.41))) = 11.64°.
jonathanlv7

Homework Statement

Suppose the isosceles prism of the figure(http://imgur.com/EQiQSoO) has apex angle φ = 53.4° and index of refraction n = 1.41. (a) What is the smallest angle of incidence θ for which a ray can enter the left face of the prism and exit the right face? (b) What angle of incidence θ is required for the ray to exit the prism with an identical angle θ for its refraction, as it does in the figure?

Homework Equations

snells law -- critical angle

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A - First I made a triangle then I tried to do a bunch of geometry/trig to find the answer and ended up with nothing. Then I tried to use the critical angle formula where the sine(incident) = 1/n and that did not work either. Been working on this for over an hour now so some help would be amazing! Haven't even tried part B yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, the critical angle that you found is the angle of incident for the second refraction. Why don't you try to find the first angle of refraction using the critical angle you have found?

Yeah I'm looking at it and I can't see how to relate the critical angle to the angle I want. Something I tried which I think is wrong is AngleOfIncident = arcsine(nsin(90-arcsine(1/n)))

Try to make a smaller triangle. Make use of the angle of the apex given.

jonathanlv7 said:
Something I tried which I think is wrong is AngleOfIncident = arcsine(nsin(90-arcsine(1/n)))
How do u get this equation?

I got the equation from http://imgur.com/KdlNuLH --- Also, I figured out part B so that's done. TY for helping!

EDIT: I don't think that angle i called 90 degrees is actually 90 degrees

So I worked on it some more and I got this answer - AngleOfIncident is 90 degrees. Is this right? For part A

I don't think so, i got a pretty small angle instead of 90, can u show me your working?

Finally! I got! Its arcsine(sin(phi-arcsine(1/n))) = 11.64 --- Thanks for helping me out! I have some other problems I'm going to start on so if you don't mind sticking around the forums for a little that'd be awesome!

Haha, you are welcome =) I will try to help with whatever i can but i don't know if i could. I am a student like you too ><

FAQ: Refraction in Isosceles triangle [Uni Phys 2]

1. What is refraction in an isosceles triangle?

Refraction in an isosceles triangle refers to the bending of light as it passes through the two equal sides of the triangle at different angles.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction in an isosceles triangle?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters the triangle, determines the amount of refraction that occurs. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the amount of refraction.

3. What is the relationship between the angles of an isosceles triangle and the amount of refraction?

The angles of an isosceles triangle are directly proportional to the amount of refraction. This means that as the angles of the triangle increase, the amount of refraction also increases.

4. How does the refractive index of the material affect refraction in an isosceles triangle?

The refractive index of the material through which light is passing affects the speed of light and therefore, the amount of refraction. Materials with a higher refractive index will result in more refraction.

5. What are some real-life applications of refraction in isosceles triangles?

Some real-life applications of refraction in isosceles triangles include optical instruments such as prisms, lenses, and mirrors. These are used in cameras, microscopes, and telescopes to manipulate and focus light. Refraction in isosceles triangles is also important in understanding the behavior of light in various materials, such as in the study of optics and fiber optics.