Refraction: Solving Tricky Questions

• Thread starter NewScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the first question involves finding the maximum refracting angle of a crown glass prism with a refractive index of 1.52 for sodium light passing through with two refractions and no reflection. The second question involves finding the angle of incidence of a beam of light hitting a water surface with a refractive index of 1.33, where the refracted and reflected rays are at a right angle to each other. The Sellmeier Equation may be used for the first question, and simultaneous equations may be used for the second question, taking into account the relationship between the angles and the refractive index.
NewScientist
1) Find the maximum refracting angle which a crown glass prism (1.52 refractive index) may have if sodium light is to pass through it with two refractions and no reflection? What deviation will be caused?

2) A beam of light strikes a water surface (refractive index 1.33) abd some of it is reflected by the surface and some is refracted. Find the angle of incidence of the beam of light if it is found that the refracted and the reflected rays are at right angle to each other.

I have no idea what to do!

I tried limiting Theta 1 and 2 in Snell's law but no luck!

Any help would be greatly recieved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure bout question 1, but for question 2, if you draw out a diagram, and try relating the angles to each other, I ended up with a situation where theta1 + theta2 equals 90 deg, and so using simultanius (I know its not spelt right) equations, the values of theta can be worked out (the other equations being relating the sin of the angles and the refractive index). That's what I think, but that doesn't mean its right. Best of luck with part 1.

^bump^^

please help!

Did you solve question 2 yet? For question 1 I imagine you'd need to use the Sellmeier Equation (I found this out after some research, it's new to me). Apparently, 'sodium light' is yellow and has a wavelength of 589nm.

Related to Refraction: Solving Tricky Questions

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. How is refraction measured?

Refraction is measured using the refractive index, which is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. The higher the refractive index, the greater the amount of refraction.

3. What causes refraction?

Refraction is caused by the change in speed and direction of light as it passes through different mediums. This change is due to the change in the density of the medium, which affects the speed of light.

4. What are some real-life examples of refraction?

Some common examples of refraction include the bending of a pencil in a glass of water, the appearance of a bent straw in a glass of water, and the rainbow effect seen when light passes through a prism.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in eyeglasses, camera lenses, and telescopes. It is also used in the design of optical instruments and in industries such as fiber optics and telecommunications.