Refractive index- will it travel back along the same way?

In summary, the refractive index will change depending on the angle of incidence, but it will always travel back along the same way.
Outrageous
Refractive index----- will it travel back along the same way?

From the picture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RefractionReflextion.svg
If I travel a light ray from n2 to n1 , I think the light ray will travel in the opposite direction shown in the first picture.
But what about the second? The light that 90 degree will find the same way back? I think it should go straight? How should the light travel and why?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Treating it is a ray, it would simply go straight since it isn't hitting the boundary and trying to move from one medium to another.

Drakkith said:
Treating it is a ray, it would simply go straight since it isn't hitting the boundary and trying to move from one medium to another.

I agree. There is no refraction for any angle of incidence greater than the critical angle - and that includes 90 degrees. (It goes without saying that we are starting in the more dense medium.)

Then is this picture correct?
This is an experiment to find the region n2 refractive index

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 334
That equipment is based on the Abbé refractometer(?) which can be used to analyse tiny samples of liquids. So, yes, you could use it.

No, I am using spectroscopy and prism to detect the refraction index.

Outrageous said:
No, I am using spectroscopy and prism to detect the refraction index.

Are you using total internal reflection to find the refractive index, or what?

Sorry, it is spectrometer.
Yup it is use to find the refractive index of the glass cell.
My book says : a sharp boundary distinguishes the bright from the dark region because no rays are refracted with an angle of refraction larger than critical angle.
So ? I think the refraction will occur along the liquid glass interface. But I feel I still don't understand how the monochromatic light ray is seen.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbe_refractometer

A light source is projected through the illuminating prism, the bottom surface of which is ground (i.e., roughened like a ground-glass joint), so each point on this surface can be thought of as generating light rays traveling in all directions. A detector placed on the back side of the refracting prism would show a light and a dark region.

Is your light source illuminating the entire face of the prism, or is it a single thin beam? I'd expect it to be the former, as I don't see how a thin beam at a 90 degree angle will be refracted or reflected anywhere.

Drakkith said:
Are you using total internal reflection to find the refractive index, or what?

Looking at the diagram again, it would appear that it is not using 'reflection' but just the limiting case of refraction as the critical angle. (Reflection must obey the laws of reflection and that ray is not reflecting) The incident ray must be traveling along the 'inside' of the liquid and just grazing the inside surface, to be refracted to just under the critical angle and into the prism. If you look at Abbe refractometers, the setup is pretty much the same, looking at the extinction angle. Of course you need a monochromatic light source or the critical angle is not so easy to find (refractive index is wavelength sensitive).

FAQ: Refractive index- will it travel back along the same way?

1. What is the refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much light bends when it passes through a material. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the refractive index related to the speed of light?

The refractive index is inversely proportional to the speed of light in a material. This means that as the speed of light decreases in a material, the refractive index increases.

3. Can the refractive index change for a given material?

Yes, the refractive index can change for a given material depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of light passing through it.

4. Will light travel back along the same path when passing through a material with a high refractive index?

No, when light passes through a material with a high refractive index, it will bend more and follow a different path than it would in a material with a lower refractive index. This is known as refraction.

5. How does the refractive index affect the appearance of objects in water?

The refractive index of water is higher than that of air, which causes objects to appear closer and slightly distorted when viewed from above the water's surface. This is due to the bending of light as it passes from the water to the air.