Regarding Physics and Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's dilemma in choosing a field of study for their undergraduate and postgraduate education. They have a passion for Physics and Mathematics, but also want to make a practical impact in the world. They are considering pursuing a Bachelor's in Physics followed by a Master's in Chemical Engineering or directly going for a Bachelor's and Master's in Chemical Engineering. They are seeking advice on which path to take and mention areas of study such as accelerator physics and detector physics that combine both physics and engineering and have good employment potential.
Atreya
Hi

I'm from Singapore and I'm currently in the state of deciding what to study for my undergrad and postgrad education. I know from my days in high school that I love Physics and Mathematics. I have a natural drive for it and I enjoy solving the abstract problems that make up the subjects. But having worked in my country's army for almost 2 years, I've also become a rather practical person and realized that practicality is necessary to solve most of the world's problems.

My love for abstract thought attracts me to Physics and Mathematics. But ultimately I know I want to benefit the world by doing something large-scale and practical- something that would come out of an engineer. I was considering Chemical Engineering because I feel I can do something about how we manage waste and other unwanted materials- which would be a concern of a chemical engineer in a sense.

One option I'm considering is doing a Bachelor's in Physics in Germany and then a Master's in Chemical Engineering, possibly in Germany too. The good thing about this option is the university where I want to study- the University of Leipzig- offers a physics program in English so I wouldn't have to spend unnecessary time learning German. Also I would get to understand a broad range of physics before specializing in a certain field. The only problem with this is that I'm not sure whether a bachelor's in physics would be sufficient to apply for a master's in CE.

The other option is to go for bachelor's in CE and then a master's in CE. The problem with this is there is no bachelor's course in CE in English language in Germany. To overcome this I'll have to take a gap year just to learn sufficient German. This would delay my already late education.

I hope you guys can offer some input on this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are areas of study where you really don't have to choose (other than a formal declaration on which one you want to go into for formality sake) between doing physics/math and engineering. I've already described one area, accelerator physics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Another area that has a huge overlap between physics and engineering is detector physics.

Both of these fields have relatively larger potential for employment, since such a graduate has skills that are useful in industries as well, not just academia or pure research.

Zz.

Related to Regarding Physics and Engineering

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding how the universe and everything in it works, while engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems.

2. How are physics and engineering related?

Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the natural world, which are then applied by engineers to create practical solutions and technologies.

3. What are some common applications of physics in engineering?

Some examples of applications of physics in engineering include designing structures and machines, developing new materials, and creating new technologies such as renewable energy sources and medical devices.

4. How does engineering use physics to solve problems?

Engineers use their understanding of physics to analyze and solve complex problems, often by applying mathematical equations and principles to design and test solutions.

5. Can someone with a background in physics become an engineer?

Yes, many people with a physics background go on to become engineers. While there are some differences in the focus and approach of these two fields, they are closely related and share many similarities.