Regarding probability bound of flip coins

In summary, the textbook provides an approximation for the tail of the Bernoulli distribution for a large sample. This is derived by approximating the tail by an integral and can be proven using the Bernoulli distribution and the Chebyshev inequality. The mean and variance of N independent tosses of a fair coin are used in the derivation.
f24u7
Suppose you flip a fair coin 10,000 time how can you characterize the distribution of the occurrence of head?

From the textbook, it says that P[head>n/2 + k√n] < e^(-k^2)/2, why is that and what is the derivation? What theorem is this, we had only learn Bernoulli distribution and Chebyshev so far, it seem odd that the textbook would jump to such a conclusion without rigorous proof.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked on it, but it looks like an approximation for the tail of the Bernoulli distribution for a large sample.

thanks for the reply, could you give me a hint for how would you go about deriving this

f24u7 said:
thanks for the reply, could you give me a hint for how would you go about deriving this

The first step is to approximate the tail by an integral.

f24u7 said:
we had only learn Bernoulli distribution and Chebyshev so far

I haven't worked on the problem either. I agree that the result is not a simple consequence of the bernoulli distribution and the Chebyshev inequality, but you might be able to prove it from them with some work.

The mean of N independent tosses of a fair coin (landing "0" or "1") is the sum of the mean of the results of the individual tosses and the variance is the sum of the individual variances. So you have a mean of N/2 and variance of N(1/2)(1-1/2). To prove the result from the Chebyshev inequality, you'd need to work out an inequality relating 1/x^2 and e^(-x^2).

Related to Regarding probability bound of flip coins

1. What is the probability of getting heads on a coin flip?

The probability of getting heads on a coin flip is 50%, or 1/2. This means that out of two possible outcomes (heads or tails), there is an equal chance of getting heads.

2. How many times should I flip a coin to get an accurate probability?

The number of times you should flip a coin to get an accurate probability depends on the level of precision you need. As a general rule, the more times you flip a coin, the more accurate the probability will be. It is recommended to flip a coin at least 30 times for a reasonable estimate.

3. Can the probability of getting heads on a coin flip change over time?

No, the probability of getting heads on a coin flip does not change over time. Each coin flip is an independent event and the probability remains the same regardless of the outcome of previous flips.

4. Is there a way to increase the probability of getting a certain outcome on a coin flip?

No, the probability of getting a certain outcome on a coin flip cannot be increased. The outcome of a coin flip is determined by chance and cannot be influenced by any external factors.

5. How does the probability of getting heads on a coin flip relate to other events?

The probability of getting heads on a coin flip is an example of a simple event, where there are only two possible outcomes (heads or tails). It can also be used to understand more complex events by breaking them down into simpler probabilities, such as flipping a coin twice in a row.