Regression Model Estimator

In summary: Finally, solving for \beta, we get:\beta = \frac{\sum x_i y_i - n\bar{x}\bar{y}}{\sum x_i^2 - n\bar{x}^2}In summary, the expected value of the least squares estimator of the slope coefficient in a regression model with deviations from sample means is given by \beta = \frac{\sum x_i y_i - n\bar{x}\bar{y}}{\sum x_i^2 - n\bar{x
mrkb80

Homework Statement

Assume regression model [itex]y_i = \alpha + \beta x_i + \epsilon_i[/itex] with [itex]E[\epsilon_i] = 0, E[\epsilon^2] = \sigma^2, E[\epsilon_i \epsilon_j] = 0[/itex] where [itex]i \ne j[/itex]. Suppose that we are given data in deviations from sample means.

If we regress [itex](y_i-\bar{y})[/itex] on [itex](x_i-\bar{x})[/itex] without a constant term, what is the expected value of the least squares estimator of the slope coefficient?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could start with [itex]S(\beta)=\Sigma (y_i-x_i \beta)^2[/itex] and replace y and x with [itex](y_i-\bar{y})[/itex] and [itex](x_i-\bar{x})[/itex] and then take FOC to get the estimator.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'm not sure how to proceed from there.You are on the right track. The first step would be to substitute (y_i-\bar{y}) and (x_i-\bar{x}) into the sum of squares equation, which would give you:

S(\beta) = \sum (y_i - \bar{y} - \beta(x_i - \bar{x}))^2

= \sum (y_i - \beta x_i + \beta \bar{x} - \bar{y})^2

= \sum (y_i - \beta x_i)^2 + \beta^2 \sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2 + \bar{y}^2 + 2\beta \bar{x} \sum (y_i - \beta x_i) - 2\bar{y} \sum (y_i - \beta x_i)

Next, you can take the first derivative of S(\beta) with respect to \beta and set it equal to 0 to find the FOC:

\frac{\partial S(\beta)}{\partial \beta} = -2 \sum (y_i - \beta x_i)x_i + 2\beta \sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2 + 2\bar{x} \sum (y_i - \beta x_i) = 0

Simplifying this equation, you get:

\beta \sum x_i^2 - \sum x_i y_i + \beta \sum x_i^2 - \beta \sum \bar{x}x_i + 2\beta \bar{x} \sum x_i - \bar{x} \sum y_i = 0

Now, you can use the given assumptions to simplify this equation further. Since E[\epsilon_i] = 0, we know that \bar{y} = \alpha + \beta \bar{x}. Substituting this into the equation, we get:

2\beta \sum x_i^2 - \sum x_i y_i + 2\beta \bar{x} \sum x_i - \bar{x} (n\alpha + \beta \sum x_i) = 0

Using the assumption that E[\epsilon_i \epsilon_j] = 0 for i \ne j, we know that \sum x_i \epsilon_i = 0. Substituting this into the

Related to Regression Model Estimator

What is a regression model estimator?

A regression model estimator is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It is used to estimate the values of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

How does a regression model estimator work?

A regression model estimator works by finding the line of best fit that minimizes the distance between the actual values and the predicted values. This line is called the regression line and is used to estimate the values of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

What are the types of regression model estimators?

There are several types of regression model estimators, including linear regression, logistic regression, polynomial regression, and multiple regression. Each type has its own assumptions and is used for different types of data.

How do you interpret the results of a regression model estimator?

The results of a regression model estimator are typically presented in the form of a regression equation, which shows the relationship between the dependent and independent variables. The coefficients in the equation indicate the strength and direction of the relationship, and the p-values indicate the significance of the relationship.

What are the limitations of a regression model estimator?

A regression model estimator is based on the assumption that there is a linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables. If this assumption is not met, the results may not be reliable. Additionally, regression models can only show correlation, not causation, and may be affected by outliers and other factors.