Rejected ∵ grad school didn't receive all my recommendations

In summary, a conversation about a person's experience of being rejected from multiple graduate schools due to issues with letters of recommendation and the impersonal and mechanized nature of the admissions process. The person mentions potential biases against non-conformists and their own desire to pursue their own ideas as a potential reason for the rejections. However, it is suggested that other factors such as GPA and GRE scores may also play a role. The importance of providing complete and timely application materials is emphasized.
Geremia
Has anyone here heard of such a thing as being immediately rejected from a grad school just because admissions didn't receive all the letters of recommendation? This just happened to me. They didn't even notify me; prior to this they lost my unofficial transcript, but they actually did notify me to resend it to them, which they ended up not needing because they found the first one I sent! They didn't even ask for more contact info for my recommenders than their email addresses. (I heard in the old days, an undergrad adviser would just recommend his student to another adviser over the phone! What's happened since then‽)

I've been reapplying yearly for about four years now to third-rate physics graduate programs, but have kept getting rejected: 14 schools in total, 100% rejection rate.

I am in very close personal contact with a professor on the admissions committee at the latest school I've applied to because I wanted to purse a PhD thesis with him, and he helped me make my application very good and proofread my personal statement, etc., but because of this annoying letters of recommendation issue, I've been ipso facto rejected! (He's the only one who's told me I've been rejected because of the letters of recommendation issue.) I've taken grad level classes already; I teach high school physics; and I've published a first-author paper, so I certainly seemed qualified.

There seems to be something quite wrong and far too impersonal and mechanized about the grad admissions process. Noam Chomsky thinks there's a selective weeding process in grad admissions, filtering out students who don't conform. Perhaps that's my problem; I want to pursue my own PhD thesis and ideas, and maybe that's the real reason for all my grad school rejections? I'm too much of a risk for the schools because I want to pursue my own ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if your "packet" is incomplete, many places do not consider you.

Also, I suspect your problem is not that you "want to pursue my own ideas". It's that you've dropped out of graduate school three times before.

On the specifics:
I would talk to your referees and find out if in fact they sent in the letters of reference. If you can provide the university with some kind of evidence that they were in fact sent, then you may have something to pursue. Sometimes even if it's a case of the referee sending in a reference letter late, that will be overlooked once you talk to someone.

Also just be sure, you did actually get your referees to send in reference letters didn't you? Just providing the contact information for the referees does not constitute a reference.

On the general...
Yes the process in impersonal, but I don't think that necessarily constitues a bias against non-conformists. Because of the sheer volume of applicants and the need for at most schools as well as fairness in the process there needs to be some mechanical aspects fo the admissions process:
- you need to provide the school with certain information
- you need to demonstrate that you've met certain minimum standards with respect to GPA and external examinations
- you need to provide multiple independent assessments of your potential to succeed.

If you can't do that (or can't be bothered to do that), even if you're credentials are all great it introduces the practical question of how the heck you'd ever be able to organize a committee meeting, or submit a thesis.

Further, universities tend to be rather liberal environments from my experience. They encourage out-of-the-box thinking, so I wouldn't think that's a problem - particularly if you already have a professor that you've discussed a project with an who is on board with it.

Instead I might consider issues like GPA or GRE scores. Or the fact that you're labelling these schools as "third rate." Imagine, for example you ask out a girl or guy who you call third rate. Just because she or he isn't the most attractive person doesn't mean that she or he is more likely to go out with you.

Geremia said:
I want to pursue my own PhD thesis and ideas, and maybe that's the real reason for all my grad school rejections? I'm too much of a risk for the schools because I want to pursue my own ideas?

So who is going to pay for you to pursue your own ideas? What's in it for them?

I can understand your frustration with the grad school admissions process. It can be disheartening to put in so much effort and still face rejection, especially when it seems like the reasons are outside of your control. However, it's important to remember that grad school admissions are a highly competitive and complex process. Admissions committees have to consider a variety of factors, including grades, test scores, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

In regards to your specific situation, it is possible that not receiving all of your letters of recommendation could have played a role in your rejections. Admissions committees rely on these letters to get a better understanding of a candidate's potential and qualifications for graduate study. Without all of the required materials, it may have been difficult for the committee to fully evaluate your application.

It's also worth noting that the admissions process can vary from school to school and even from year to year. What may have been acceptable in the past, such as a phone recommendation, may not be the case now. It's important to carefully follow the application instructions and ensure that all materials are submitted correctly and on time.

As for the idea of a "selective weeding process," it's hard to say for sure if this is happening in grad school admissions. However, it's important to remember that admissions committees are looking for candidates who not only have the potential to succeed in graduate school, but also align with the research interests and goals of the program. It's possible that your ideas may not have aligned with those of the programs you applied to, but that doesn't mean you are not a qualified candidate.

My advice would be to continue pursuing your passion and applying to programs that align with your research interests. It may also be helpful to reach out to admissions committees or professors at the programs you are interested in to get a better understanding of their expectations and selection process. Don't let a few rejections discourage you from pursuing your dreams. Keep pushing forward and eventually you will find the right fit for your graduate studies.

Related to Rejected ∵ grad school didn't receive all my recommendations

1. Why didn't my grad school receive all of my recommendations?

It is possible that there was an error in the submission process, or that your recommenders did not complete and submit their recommendations on time.

2. Can I still be considered for admission without all of my recommendations?

It depends on the specific requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may still consider your application, while others may require all recommendations to be submitted before considering an applicant.

3. How can I ensure that my recommendations are submitted on time in the future?

Make sure to communicate clearly with your recommenders about the submission process and deadlines. Follow up with them to ensure they have submitted their recommendations and address any issues that may arise.

4. Will my application be at a disadvantage without all of my recommendations?

It is always best to submit a complete application, including all required documents and recommendations. However, if there is a valid reason for not being able to submit all recommendations, you may still be considered for admission.

5. Should I contact the graduate admissions office about the missing recommendations?

If you have followed up with your recommenders and they have assured you that they have submitted their recommendations, then it may be appropriate to contact the graduate admissions office and inform them of the situation. However, if the missing recommendations are due to your own mistake or lack of communication, it may be better to take responsibility and not involve the admissions office.